Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 08:13 PM

Default On 3-Betting Ranges

This post was inspired by teddyFBI's post about KQo vs a 14 PFR raiser. I was wondering what people's general 3-betting guidelines are for different ranges of PFR's.

I haven't fully figured everything out yet, but there's obvious things, like if I see a 20 PFR raiser, I'm 3-betting ATo+, KQs (probably KQo as well depending on his position), and 99+. Is this range too tight?

Also, what about the other end? I made a post once where I had AKo in MP, and someone with a PFR of 3 (over a decent sample of hands) raised UTG/UTG+1. I ended up 3-betting and flopping TPTK and he paid me off with his queens, but after thinking about the hand more, I think I would've been comfortable with a fold, and maybe a coldcall/3-bet with AKs.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: On 3-Betting Ranges

I don't think this is too tight. Maybe someone else will have more to add.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:04 AM

Looks fine to me. The only thing I see strange is why AKo in MP change anything on an early 3pfr?

I treat everyone equally worthless except for the loose game changers.

I would 3-bet regardless and give him respect post flop or cold call hoping to get more play.

Like the 1st reply said youll find other comments. I want people to respect my 3-bet so I rarely use that power unless i can show down something worthy.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks fine to me. The only thing I see strange is why AKo in MP change anything on an early 3pfr?

I treat everyone equally worthless except for the loose game changers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason is changes is because a raiser with 3 PRF a range that looks something like AA-QQ, AK or AA-JJ. AKo is not a great hand versus those ranges.

Here's a more extreme case to show why I wouldn't just "treat everyone the same". I was playing at Commerce once, and there was this extremely passive player at my table. I saw him limp twice with QQ and he would call if someone bet into him and sometimes just check/call the whole way down. Now, if I had played with him long enough, I wouldn't be surprised if his raising range was AA-KK or just AA. I would feel comfortable laying down AKo to a raise from this guy.