Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Combo draw #3

Just sat down at table, this is my 4th hand. I have never seen Button before....

Stack sizes Me: $98, Button: $93, SB: $50.

It folds to me in the CO, I raise to $4 with Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Button and SB call.

Flop: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

SB leads for $6, I raise to $20, and Button pushes. SB folds. I call...

Thoughts? I figured it was a basic math problem and I had odds.

Sly
Old 06-15-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Combo draw #3

Seems pretty much even, unlees he has Kx[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in which case you are pretty much [censored]. You are getting almost 3:1 though, so you have to call.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 PM

i don't like the raise w/ JQs when just sitting down at a table. i like to have a read on the table before i start raising w/ these marginal hands.

i'm not sure i'd like the push. however, after weighing your other options, it seems like it would be the right play.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM

I generally avoid semibluffing when my opponent is likely trying to protect their hand. I flat call and might semibluff the turn if I think he has a weaker ace I can put him off because I raised pf.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i don't like the raise w/ JQs when just sitting down at a table. i like to have a read on the table before i start raising w/ these marginal hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I am not going to fold when it's folded to me in the Cutoff with QJs, and I generally hate open-limping from the Cutoff onward. I am glad to win the blinds here, but usually I won't get myself in too much trouble with a 1 pair hand. I also often play several tables at once, so my reads are always marginal, unless someone is a severe donk.

Sly
Old 06-15-2005, 02:06 PM

if I am folded to in the CO with QJs, I open 100% of the time.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really? I am not going to fold when it's folded to me in the Cutoff with QJs, and I generally hate open-limping from the Cutoff onward. I am glad to win the blinds here, but usually I won't get myself in too much trouble with a 1 pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're post-flop play is good, then open-raising this from the cut-off is mandatory. It's a decent hand and will hit a fair enough number of flops that you should be well ahead of a blind defender.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Really? I am not going to fold when it's folded to me in the Cutoff with QJs, and I generally hate open-limping from the Cutoff onward. I am glad to win the blinds here, but usually I won't get myself in too much trouble with a 1 pair hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're post-flop play is good, then open-raising this from the cut-off is mandatory. It's a decent hand and will hit a fair enough number of flops that you should be well ahead of a blind defender.

[/ QUOTE ]

strongly disagree. i feel my post flop play has been awesome as of late, but i'm still not raising this hand with no reads. not profitable in the long run.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

strongly disagree. i feel my post flop play has been awesome as of late, but i'm still not raising this hand with no reads. not profitable in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you basing this on? I can't help but think that a Cat 3 hand with position has a pretty significant edge against a standard range of blind-defense hands. If you're the superior postflop player, it seems like a no-brainer. Why the reluctance?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:47 PM

BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO READS ON THE TABLE.