Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 11:07 AM

Default KQs from UTG

Table was medium loose approx. 3-5 to the flop when raised.
This hand, would be an exception of course...

Paradise Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

I normally don't cap this without position. Don't know if I would/should with position either.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP3 calls.

Given that I didn't cap I decide to checkraise him. He 3-bets and my plan is to cap here &amp; lead the turn to see if he's serious.

Turn: (7.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Ok, nice turncard. I'll keep firing. Now I hope he has AA...

River: (13.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 15.75 BB

I think I was pretty much saved by the Q on the turn but I'm not sure. What is your opinion on my play? Looking back I think its a bit overagressive.

What should I have done if the turn was:

a) a blank
b) an Ace
c) a King
Old 06-15-2005, 11:14 AM

Default Re: KQs from UTG

I don't like the flop cap.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:17 AM

I call the flop 3-bet. You're beaten by QQ, KK, AA, and AQ. I highly doubt he's 3-betting this flop with JJ, TT, or AK.

When the Q comes on the turn, I check/raise and go from there.

This might also be a suitable place for a WA/WB line from the flop.

Do you have any reads on villian? It would make the decisions a lot easier.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like the flop cap.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-15-2005, 11:26 AM

I probably adopt a WA/WB line here. Check-call the flop, check-raise the turn, bet the river if vilain just calls the turn.

Check-raising the flop is okay too, but you went way overboard by capping. I agree with leading the turn when you improve, but I hope you weren't planning on leading if a blank hit.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably adopt a WA/WB line here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm...assuming that Hero doesn't improve on the turn I'm not sure if this is the best line.

If you're ahead of AK here, he still is very much drawing live to you plus he may not bet the turn nor call a bet on the river here.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When the Q comes on the turn, I check/raise and go from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think when the board pairs high like this, villian will check behind and go for a cheap showdown quite a bit of the time (if he has a PP)?
Old 06-15-2005, 11:36 AM

Preflop is fine. I wouldn't cap this HU, but I would if there were going to be at least 4 players in the hand.

Assuming MP3 is a reasonable player (I didn't see a read provided), his range of 3-bet hands:

AA-TT
AKs &amp; AKo
Maybe AQs &amp; KQs

On the flop, you're behind AA-QQ, AQ, and chopping w/KQ. I really doubt Villain would reraise with anything you're beating, so I probably just call the 3-bet. Personally, I like the c/r here. The alternative is betting out, but then I'm not sure I want to 3-bet here. Check raising and getting 3-bet lets you put him pretty solidly on TPTK, minimum. AA is the most likely, since you hold a K and Q, and there is a Q on the board.

I probably would just bet out as you did on the turn. If I were Villain and held AA, I wouldn't really be afraid of you holding a Q because I would have expected you to slow down to my 3-bet on the flop. I'm more likely thinking you're playing KK very aggressively, or maybe JJ or TT since you don't think I have a Q now. Hero's line is very read-dependent, though.

If the turn is a blank, I'm in call-down mode. I don't think I would have capped the flop, though, so given that you did, I might bet out then call a raise and check/call the river UI.

If the turn is an Ace, I bet out, fold to a raise.

If the turn is a K, I bet out/3-bet. If it's capped, I'm check-calling the river UI.

Nice hand.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:39 AM

turn and river play themselves, I think I'd just call 3-bet on the flop. Most of the preflop 3-betting hands have you crashed.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:44 AM

anybody folds on the turn if it's blank and the villain keeps betting?