Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Combo Draw #2

NL 100- .50/1 blinds

Relavant stacks- Me ($180), Button ($177)

I limp UTG with K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

3 other limpers and both blinds come along.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet $5, it folds to the button who makes it $15. I call.

Turn: A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I Check, he checks.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I lead out for $40.

Thoughts? Villain seems a bit loose, but I haven't played with him before so maybe he's just running pretty well. Hasn't shown down anything really dumb. I thought he would bet the turn if I checked it to him, obviously that didn't pan out.

Sly
Old 06-15-2005, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Combo Draw #2

I'd almost lean towards reraising the flop although with those stacks it's tough to get it in there w/o him pushing. The flat call makes the turn such a horrid scare card.

so what, $6 to the flop...$36 to the turn...I'd bet $10 on the turn as a check after the flop flat call seems way too scary. A check on the turn and $40 on the river looks too suspicious. What hand do you put him on (you all limped) What does he raise you on the flop with? T9? KT/QT/JT?

I think AT would be reasonable and you have some nice equity and i'm sure fold equity.

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1032414
pokenum -h kd qd - ac ts / td 9h 3d
Holdem Hi: 1221759 enumerated boards
cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
Kd Qd 522493 42.77 693812 56.79 5454 0.45 0.430
Ts Ac 693812 56.79 522493 42.77 5454 0.45 0.570
Old 06-15-2005, 09:07 AM

I would have reraised the flop if he had say $100, because I dont mind getting it all-in there. But with both of us being 175+BB's I dont think I want to get all-in on the flop, as he will probably fold anything less than top 2.

On the flop I put him on T9/JT/QT/KT/AT, a set, a straight draw with QJ or 2 diamonds. I am in good shape against his range here, but if I reraise to say $45 and he flat calls, what do I do if the turn doesnt help me?

Sly
Old 06-15-2005, 10:05 AM

i'd bet out on the turn. he'll think that you're bluffing the scare card (which you should do somewhat regularly heads-up anyway). if he has a set, i don't want to give him a chance to check-behind and boat up. also, any decent player will check behind here with a one or two pair hand and the flush draw hitting.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:35 AM

I wouldn't and I consider myself decent, I would bet half the pot, fold to a check raise, and hopefully just check behind on the river if he calls then checks the river : )
Old 06-15-2005, 10:37 AM

Reraising the flop would be bad because, as you noted, a brick turn puts you in an awkward situation. I think leading the turn is good for the reasons others have stated. Also, if you lead the turn and get called, you can often checkraise the river (assuming the board doesn't pair). If villain calls you on the turn, he's basically saying he doesn't believe you have the flush. Then when you check the river, that strengthens that belief as it looks like you tried to use the scare card to steal the pot. He'll probably make some sort of value bet with a set/two pair and you can often get a crying call of a checkraise.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:58 AM

i don't like re-raising the flop here. i don't want to play for all my chips w/ a K high flush draw/gut shot on the flop. call the flop re-raise. biggest mistake here is not leading the turn. you have the nuts, bet it! build the pot! i like a lead here for $20 or $25ish. make pot sized bet on the river.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Results

Button called the $40 on the river fairly quickly. Obviously MHIG, and I take down the pot. Due to problems getting the hand history for this session, I have no idea what button had.

I think a turn bet of some sort, maybe 2/3 pot would be the best play in hindsight. If he had a flush or a set he might raise me there giving me the opportunity to push with the nuts. Thanks for the feedback.

Sly
Old 06-15-2005, 01:40 PM

I think getting more money in on the flop allows you to get some in on the turn. Just for the record, you have a gutshot, flush draw and two overs, so a K or Q could conceivably give you the pot. And you are deep enough to raise the flop to $45 and then check a turn if you miss because he's probably checking behind everything but a set.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:48 PM

I don't like checking the turn. I made my draw guys!

I will often entertain the idea of bombing him out on the flop, the pot is decent sized to steal and you have a great draw, two overs, flush, gut shot. Most players are not going to go all in with a one pair hand here, that's probably what he has.

edit- changed flop to turn in sentence 1