Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 05:31 AM

Default Do i raise? fold somewhere?

Opponent is tight and extremely aggro. 18/17 over 1k hands, post flop aggression high 2's

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $15.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.66 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.33 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.33 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.33 BB
Old 06-15-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Do i raise? fold somewhere?

I sometimes raise the turn, with the intention of checking the river. And I sometimes play it like you did. I don't like raising the flop here, because an aggro player will reraise a flushdraw, lower pair and even a good A here more than enough that you have to pay till the river lots of times, and the hand is too marginal for that. I know some players that are able to threebet the turn with a draw, and then it's obvious to play the hand like you did.

Regards,

Vulture
Old 06-15-2005, 11:43 AM

If you are going to call it down.... you might as well raise the turn and take the free showdown. You are unlikely to get 3-bet by a worse hand and you might make him fold hands that have outs to your pair of 5's.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:13 PM

A calldown is fine. Based on his stats, this guy is selective with the hands he plays, but he essentially raises preflop whenever he's in a hand and then continues to fire all the way. I don't like raising the turn because it would absolutely suck to get 3-bet, and the problem is that this guy might 3-bet you with a draw. And a guy this aggro is unlikely to check the river heads up regardless of what he has, so you'll get the same number of bets in whether you raise the turn and hope for a free showdown or just call him down all the way.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the responses.
He had KJ or KQ cant remember which.
Felt a little dirty at the time, but it was the best line I could find.

Any comments on preflop? is that standard?