Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2005, 03:42 AM

Default Overcards hand from the archive

I've been searching through the archives lately and this one came up. Playing overcards is still a problem for me, as it is for many posters. This is the kind of hand where I think the answer should be obvious to me, but isn't. And I suspect we might get a few different opinions.

Anyway, what do you do here and why? I'll post the responses from the archived thread if this turns out to be interesting at all.

Party 3/6 game. Dealt Ad Kd in the cutoff. EP calls, MP calls, I raise, SB folds, BB calls, limpers call. 4 to the Flop for 8.5sb.

Flop: 7c 4h 2d

SB checks, EP bets, MP calls, I...
Old 06-15-2005, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Overcards hand from the archive

I raise here because of the [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] on the flop.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:48 AM

I sometimes call and sometimes raise here. I'll basically never raise if my opponents aren't the type to just call and then check to me on the turn. I hate a raise if I'm going to get 3bet or they donkbet the turn even a relatively small percentage of the time.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:09 AM

I like a raise unless a free card is rare at this table.Since you are almost always holding two live cards and you have the backdoor flush you don't have to get a free card exceptionally often for this raise to be valuable. This flop is very ragged and as such you are unlikely to get 3-bet by typical party 3/6ers. I'd be surprised if the archives suggest anything but a raise; this seems almost textbook.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:04 AM

I first response is to raise. EP knows yo probebly have overcards and is testing you. I raise to test him back and then watch the turn carefully to see if that straight straight gets more noticable.

EP called early so HE probebly has overcards OR weak pockets.

I don;t want those guys to take charge adter I raised in,

Grinders Warehouse BLOG Edition
Old 06-15-2005, 07:21 AM

Well there is 10.5 sb's in the pot, If we smooth call odds are SB will call most of the time... so that's 12.5 sb's going to the turn.

If we raise here, SB probobly isn't going to call, but you know the other 2 will call it 95% of the time, If not Raise so You're going to have atleast 14.5 SB's

We've got Backdoor Straight / Flush draws as well as 2 strongest overcards, so I'm counting 6ish outs here?

With that in mind we hit the turn with 7.25 BBs in the pot facing us instead of 6.25 is we smooth-call. But we're also getting the chance at at a free turn(as an above poster mentioned we can count that in here depending on the table).

Just because in this situation I think a free - turn is viable atleast 20% of the time I'd advocate Raising. Not sure if I am looking at it wrong?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if I am looking at it wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem to be implying that raising the flop will give you better odds to continue drawing to your hand on the turn. This is a very incorrect way to think.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:29 AM

Location: I\'m a FAG:Frugal Aggressive(Not that there is anything wrong with that)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if I am looking at it wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
You seem to be implying that raising the flop will give you better odds to continue drawing to your hand on the turn. This is a very incorrect way to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems a backwards way to think.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:31 AM

I am going for the raise here because of the strength of the combined draws and taking the free card if necessary. Question is what to do if 3 bet. Unlikely, but I would call and see where the turn took us.
Old 06-15-2005, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it seems a backwards way to think.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm unclear whether you're saying that I'm thinking backwards or if you're suggesting that Jayson is thinking backwards?