Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 11:38 PM

Default KK problem

Some background info is needed. My friend has a short bankroll (70$) but loves 10+1 sngs on pokerstars. There are 4 players left, extremely loose passive table, with the exception of him. He plays about 15% of flops total.

Blinds 75/150

UTG= 2000
Button (Villain)= 4900
SB= 600
BB (Hero)=6000

UTG folds, villain calls, SB completes. Hero raises 450 to 600 with KcKs. Villain calls, SB thinks and folds.

POT=1350

Flop= Qd 7d 2d

Hero fires out 1500, villain moves in, Hero calls. Villain has Kd9d, and hero is essentially drawing dead.

My major complaint with this hand was that if it's a loose passive table and he's gonna get action, why not raise more. Playing good players I think the pot sized raise PF is enough, but I really thought button was going to call up to 900 total (750 raise). Also by raising this much it puts the SB all-in, and as short stacked as he was this is going to result in a lot of calls from hands like QT, QJ, etc because the pot odds are decent. I also hate the bet on the flop, but it does send the message that I'm not messing around so don't call with just a flush draw.

A major complaint with my friend is that he often raises without thinking, he just clicks the sliding-bar twice and hits "raise". This results in a lot of times when players are getting 3:1 or better to call, and they are right to do so because he only plays very good hands. Basically I think he offers too good implied odds.

Thanks in advance for thoughts.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:40 PM

Default Re: KK problem

Hero should fire 750 or so, but 600 isn't horrible. Not going to help you here.