Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 06:38 PM

Default PartyNL$25 General Advice...

I play NL home games often, and until a short while ago been a strictly low limit limit player online. Within the past month or so I have begun making the move into the $25 NL tables at party.

I would say that I am usually I play tight aggressive, which I think may be a holdover from playing low limit (my starting hand selection and preflop play seems to be very influenced by Miller/Sklansky's SSHE). I have been winning, but only small amounts. I will leave after playing for 3 hours up like $5, but I rarely come out down.

I feel like I am missing opportunities here, because I can tell the players are not the greatest, and that I should be able to extract moremoney fromt he table. SO I guess I was just looking for any general suggestions people might have. Should I loosen up starting hand selection?,be more aggressive with marginal hands post flop?, etc. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Default Re: PartyNL$25 General Advice...

There's a lot you can do re starting hands but I'll let better posters comment.

To have a decent win rate table selection is so important. Your style sounds perfectly suited to a loose table with high pot averages. Scout out those tables and don't be afraid to move when a table turns into a rock garden, which can happen fairly quickly online.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:57 AM

My #1 suggestion is that you apply some metrics to your areas of concern so that you can get specific. General questions don't get a lot of mileage on this forum, and won't really help your play. Get down to nuts and bolts.

You seem to be concerned about win rates, and you mentioned starting hand selection and postflop play.

As to the first two, buy PokerTracker. It's the best $50 ($55 now?) you will ever spend for online play, as it will allow you to measure your win/loss rate precisely, over any period of time, for any subset of hands you choose. So you'll be able to discuss and think about win rates with the context of solid data on yourself.

You'll also be able to think much more clearly about starting hands, because PokerTracker will tell you, for example, whether or not playing Axs has been profitable over your last 10,000 hands, so you can use that to consider whether you should loosen up or tighten up.

As to the final point, on postflop play, you will get the best feedback by far if you post hand histories. The guys (gals) on this forum are great about responding to specific hands, if you take the time to format it with the converter, add salient details on reads, point out where you had trouble, and avoid posting hands that are really just bad beats.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:43 AM

At loose tables, bet and raise less, and call more.