Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 03:14 PM

Default A tricky AA

I felt as though I could have played this hand a lot better, so any critiques are welcome. This is a live 2/5 NL game. I just sat down at the table and saw about two hands.

UTG I get dealt AA. Now I have no reads on this table. I raise 3XBB to $15 and wouldn't you know get 7 callers. The flop comes 9 10 Q rainbow. This flop is not the worst but is pretty bad because I worry that someone could have called with KJ, Q10, Q9, or any other worrying hand. SB and BB both check, and I think for about 5 seconds than go all in for the remainder of my 90 dollars.

Is this the right play here. The flop looked pretty scary but I thought to myself I have to push here to get anyone off of a draw. Remember I still had 4 callers behind me.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: A tricky AA

with a 105$ pot and 4 people behind you, with NO read, i'd bet 30$ and see what happens. i would've said 50$ but then you're pot committed. if you get raised and people behind the raiser calls, then ur getting great odds to push due to the amount of $ in the pot. be ready to rebuy though in case QJ hits the str8.

comments?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:38 PM

I think that 30$ would be a good bet to put in, but even betting 30$ am I pot committed? Depending on how many people call/raise I feel like no matter what I am getting pot odds because I have an overpair and in a worse case scenario am still not drawing dead on the flop, but 30$ sounds like a good bet at this point.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:42 PM

your playing 2-5 with $105...

if and when you find yourself in this situation and you have AA-KK, you must raise to at least $25-30, this means there will be (conceivably) $55ish dollars if you only get the one caller and you will have $80 left.

makes the push all that more easy on the flop.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:44 PM

well ok, u say u pushed for 90 after ur 15$ bet. so u started with 105 at a 2/5 nl table? besides being understacked for the stakes i think 30$ is escapable if you see 1 raiser and everyone behind him folds. if everyone CALLS him though, BAM! ur in for the chase.

results? im assuming u got at least 1 caller.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:44 PM

1) What is the max buy-in at this game? Most 2/5 games I know of have a max buy-in of $500 - you should preferably buy-in for the full amount. If you can't do this, you are playing w/ scared money and should move down in limits.

2) 3xbb raise is never enough to get people out. You want this hand against either one or two opponents, not 7. I raise at least 5xbb.

3) From your stack size, you are looking to go all-in within the first hour of sitting down. I check and wait for a better spot to put all my money in - either set, nut straight draw or nut flush draw.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
your playing 2-5 with $105...

if and when you find yourself in this situation and you have AA-KK, you must raise to at least $25-30, this means there will be (conceivably) $55ish dollars if you only get the one caller and you will have $80 left.

makes the push all that more easy on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

jkkkk is right. Opening raises of $25 are pretty common in 2/5 live games so you shouldn't have to worry about not getting any callers. I've played in live 1/2 games where $25 is not an uncommon opening raise.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played in live 1/2 games where $25 is not an uncommon opening raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

LCD nation.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3) From your stack size, you are looking to go all-in within the first hour of sitting down. I check and wait for a better spot to put all my money in - either set, nut straight draw or nut flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd. With 21xBB, AA is the best possible hand you could pick up. Limping and hoping for draws and sets will cost you far more than making a good-sized preflop raise with aces and pushing any flop.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:49 PM

betting $30 doesn't do anything. Everyone's going to call with anything and probably any draw will be getting odds to stay in.

I don't play in live games but if its anything like on-line, 3xbb bet is never enough to narrow the field. especially UTG (ie oop), I think he wants to bet a little more... 5-6bb.

With 7 players in this is a pretty scary flop. I don't know about going all-in post flop with just an overpair is the best thing to do.

I just realized, If I'm reading this correctly, the player started the hand with only had 18BBs. He might as well have pushed preflop. He's playing with too short of a stack.