Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Kinda of ackward Ajo hand for me

villians vpip is over 40. pfr is over 22

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (6 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

River: (9 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 11 BB
Old 06-13-2005, 05:10 PM

Default Re: Kinda of ackward Ajo hand for me

I raise the turn to put pressure on button. If 3 bet, I'm almost always folding. If it was just heads up, I would just call down like you did.

ZZZ
Old 06-13-2005, 05:38 PM

i'm going to guess KQ or AK for the villain here. shorthanded Kx may be likely. with only 5BB on the turn the call is not justified to me. And since the river didn't improve you, the call down also looks weak. but i've been wrong frequently. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

will you post the results at some point?
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the turn to put pressure on button. If 3 bet, I'm almost always folding. If it was just heads up, I would just call down like you did.

ZZZ

[/ QUOTE ]
The only thing I dislike about the turn raise is the if 3bet you will be getting 11-1
Old 06-13-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm going to guess KQ or AK for the villain here. shorthanded Kx may be likely. with only 5BB on the turn the call is not justified to me. And since the river didn't improve you, the call down also looks weak. but i've been wrong frequently. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

will you post the results at some point?

[/ QUOTE ]

good reads tho..i might post the result..

-sinful
Old 06-13-2005, 05:57 PM

i like the thought of the raise on the turn

-sinful
Old 06-13-2005, 06:08 PM

You can't fold the hand on the turn, therefore you should raise the turn. You charge as much as possible if BB is on a draw, you probably eliminate button and you can probably take a cheap showdown on the river.

EDIT: I would also 3-bet AJ preflop against villain since his raise is probably intended to isolate the fishy button
Old 06-13-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can't fold the hand on the turn, therefore you should raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

i went back to think about it, at first i thought fold is best, but i changed my mind. it's a pretty clear raise or fold situation on both turn and river. fold is not horrible, but a raise on the turn is much better. fold to a 3-bet. bet if checked and call if raised (fold is also not bad) on the river.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:15 PM

I put him on a J weaker kicker (K, Q, maybe even T)
Old 06-13-2005, 06:44 PM

3-bet preflop against Mr. 22%. Especially if you have a chance to remove the button but do it anyway.

The turn call is correct. Folding with outs and what could might be the best hand is much too weak.

Raising the turn to hammer the button has a superficial appeal, but consider that you are usually behind and very likely to be 3-bet by LAG SB. Now whatever you do you will take a big EV loss compared to just calling down because you still may be ahead and you probably have outs.

So what's so great about knocking out the button?

1. You don't even know that he plans to call.

2. You are usually behind in which case forcing him out costs you money. Your outs are hard to dominate because of your good kickers.

3. When you are ahead the button is rarely a big threat. Unless he has an untouchable draw like the flush or OESD, there is little that he can have against your jacks. You have an ace and the king is already here. A queen would be a problem but very often that loses to SB anyway. Most of the time you are ahead it is not a very big EV loss to let button pay 1 BB to draw to his hand. If you thought you were ahead then that would be different. But raising doesn't gain enough on the infrequent occasions when you are ahead to make up for the fact that you are usually behind.