Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2005, 11:04 AM

Default Playing medium pocket pairs near/on the bubble.

I hope I don't over-bore you with newbie questions, but it happend twice tonight, so I have to ask.

First case, MTT, 62 left, paying 50, I got just under average stack. Blinds are very high already, and I have about 13BB's. I'm on the button with 88. CO pushes for 70% of my stack. Don't know him, just moved to that table. BB is a loose aggresive player (and just plain maniac at times), who don't mind taking chances and he got me covered. Even if it's a steal, most chances i'm in for a race. If not, i'm drawing to two outs. If I fold, I'll probably slide into the money, but not alot I can do there. If I win, I got enough chips to terror the table. Easy fold? Insta Call? (I folded, BB called with A5s, CO had 77. Busted out at 30.)

3 hours later, 55 left, 50 ITM. Speed tournament, blinds are insane. I got slightly above average stack, and on the BB (7.5k after posting, blinds at 1500). UTG pushes for 6.5k (5k for me to call). It's the first hand I've seen him play in the 10+- mins i'm in the table. I look down at 7h7s. What do I do? (I called, he had jacks)

Obviously I have no clue how to play medium pp's. Is it ever a good idea to call with 'em, or are they strictly pushing hands?

Thanks for the advices, I'm sick of the mini profits.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Re: Playing medium pocket pairs near/on the bubble.

Early in MTTīs they are gold (as well as Low PP) because of the implied odds (low blinds/big potts)
But in later rounds you want to take down the pot PF.
I NEVER call a push with these hands unless shortstacked or have a good read.

That been said, you made the rigth move in hand 1. You still have egnuogh chips to steal blind and wait for a premium hand (or fold into the money).
The second is a little harder but utg push = a lot of trouble.
I probably fold an make a move when i have position.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Playing medium pocket pairs near/on the bubble.

1: this is a spot where i wish i knew more about the villain. he should be pushing a wide enough range that pushing over top is definitely right, but some people tend to get into a shell near the bubble. i think i push, largely b/c you will still likely make the money if you double him up. it's close though.

2: easy call.