Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 05:11 PM

Default The simplest \"Do I have a gamboling problem\" test ever.

Qualifying my self: Recovering alcoholic drug addict with 25 years clean and sober.

The test: If GAMBOLING causes a PROBLEM (or problems) in your life .... you have a GAMBOLING PROBLEM

Pretty simple, huh?

'Course it does take a bit of self honesty, something that is sometmes in short supply amongst all forms of addicts. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Dean
Old 06-12-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: The simplest \"Do I have a gamboling problem\" test ever.

Mucho 12 step experience here.

Your simple test is true. However, just as there can be a difference between "problem drinker" and "alcoholic" (see the Big Book for more on the subject), there can be a difference between someone having a "gambling problem" and someone being "gambling addict".

The former often leads to the latter, but not always. One factor is: what is the problem? Is it that you cannot stop on your own, and gambling is ruining your health, finances, and/or relationships? Or perhaps the problem is that you go on tilt from time to time, or something else that can be self-improved?

-ptmusic
Old 06-12-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Qualifying my self: Recovering alcoholic drug addict with 25 years clean and sober.

The test: If GAMBOLING causes a PROBLEM (or problems) in your life .... you have a GAMBOLING PROBLEM

[/ QUOTE ]

gam·bol
To leap about playfully; frolic.

Well, I did this just tonight when I rivered a full house against a flush. I don't think it's a problem though. I can handle it.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:12 PM

Pretty well stated. I use a two-question test for addictions that is about 90% accurate for everything but poker. The questions are:

1) Have you ever tried to cut back.

2) Have family and friends ever expressed concern that you were drinking/drugging too much.

This test doesn't work with poker, because family rarely understand that there is such a thing as +EV gambling, mostly because there usually isn't.

I like the "Is xxxx interfering with your life?" question. A "Yes" is necessary, but NOT sufficient, for a diagnosis of Pathological Gambling.