Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 10:41 PM

Default Huge pot...fold the turn?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (14 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls.

Turn: (9.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (16.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 folds.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

Hard to lay down pocket aces. Was it a mistake to raise preflop in this family pot from the BB? I thought about it for a few seconds and figured, I'd get all my money in now with the best hand, but I knew I would have at least 2 or more opponents seeing the river with me. I thought at the turn that the guy could have slowplayed a K, but that was unlikely since I raised into so many people preflop. Which means he has a 7. I think I'm still steaming from a hand yesterday where I folded JJ to a bluff river bet from one opponent that was called by the second opponent that showed TT. I figured at least one of them paired the A on the flop, though neither had raised my flop and turn bets. Like this one it was a big pot. I can't recall the last time I was so upset. It hurts twice as much to make a bad decision (fold the best hand for one bet in a huge pot) than to get a bad beat.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Huge pot...fold the turn?

Preflop and flop are fine. It clearly looks like SB has a 7 from his turn action -- he maximized his profit from trips. But the pot is large enough to call down. It's only 2 more BBs and it's highly unlikely it will cost any more than that. Expect to lose, but if you're good even 12% of the time, it's an okay play.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:49 PM

You have to call this. I'm not convinced SB has trips. The turn brought a second possible flush draw. Especially with this large a pot, easy call.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:01 AM

Thanks. I think I knew I played this fine...but then a discussion ensued about how poor my play was before the flop, and then I was accused of "bluffing" into several opponents on the turn where someone "had to have a 7" with so many callers. Needless to say, the table coach has a VPIP of 44% and is now down about 20BB.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:03 AM

Don't second guess the pre-flop play, just realize that SB has a huge range of hands b/c he completed, then called a raise.

FWIW, unless I have a super--sharp read, I play it the same.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Lol, table coaches r funny. On UB tonight there was a dude on my left who berated the dude to his left for coldcalling a preflop 3bet with AJo. He then proceeded to coldcall me with A2s and K9 on the next orbit, and called down to the river with no pair each time.