Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 10:18 PM

Default Weirdly played QQ

5-handed live 80-160 game. The BB is tight, and very (probably overly) aggressive thinking player who used to post on 2+2, but I don't know whether he does anymore. He respects my play and knows I'm tight and aggressive. I'm dealt QQ in the SB. Folded to me and I limp in planning to 3-bet if raised. He checks.

Flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I check-call.

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hmm, too many draws to pull the check-raise I was considering. I bet out. He raises. I three bet. He calls.

River: an offsuit 5. I think for a while and then bet.

Well played?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Weirdly played QQ

Why'd you decide to wait for the turn to make a move? That's not a great flop for you and you might be able to use the cheap street for some of the hand definition you missed by limping pre-flop.

On the river, what's your plan if he raises? It seems awkward because you pretty much have to see a showdown here and after you three-bet the turn, he has to suspect as much. Any raise he makes would probably be for value but I don't see how you can fold an overpair for one bet on the river heads-up. Maybe that's why I don't play $80/$160.

Man, I'm rambling and my contribution is worthless because I don't know what to think of this line. I guess if I got to the river the same way you did, I'd bet.

SpaceAce
Old 06-11-2005, 12:03 AM

looks standard, u were thinking check on river?? i bet here almost every time
Old 06-11-2005, 12:06 AM

meant to say looks fine, not standard, i need to stop drinking
Old 06-11-2005, 03:22 PM

Why define my hand on the flop? He'll bet with any holding here on the flop, and he'll call my raise with a pair or a gutshot or overcards or any small piece of this and probably give up on the turn. Just calling the flop I think there's a good chance he'll try to steal again on the turn, and if he has a big enough piece he'll have to call a check raise.
Old 06-11-2005, 03:29 PM

I think that limping with monsters when in a steal situation in an aggressive shorthanded game is pretty silly.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that limping with monsters when in a steal situation in an aggressive shorthanded game is pretty silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

if his sb/bb plan involves trying to get some cheap sb flops, something like this looks like a good idea once in a while. If not, I agree.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if his sb/bb plan involves trying to get some cheap sb flops, something like this looks like a good idea once in a while. If not, I agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the plan. I play with this guy fairly regularly, so memory of these limp-reraises (or limp-reraise attempts) will extend across sessions.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:19 PM

Default Results

He called my river bet. I showed, and MHIG. He looked at it kind of incredulously and then told me I extracted the absolute maximum. So, my guess is he had T9.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:58 AM

And you can take that to the bank.