Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 06:10 PM

Default enough to buy in

I play a pretty disciplined game is 100$ enought to buy in at a 4/8 game if i wait for a decent hand. just 1 hand will get me 50$ considering the looseness of my oppents.So is 100 enough to make it through the game.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: enough to buy in

It's not a good idea. Even the best players are going to lose 12BBs to start a session a lot of the times plus you don't want to lose a few small pots and then pick up a monster when you only have like $50-60 in your stack and not be able to get full value out of the hand.

If you want to play 4/8 then sit down with at least $200 in chips, if you only have $100 stick to 2/4.
Old 06-10-2005, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a good idea. Even the best players are going to lose 12BBs to start a session a lot of the times plus you don't want to lose a few small pots and then pick up a monster when you only have like $50-60 in your stack and not be able to get full value out of the hand.

If you want to play 4/8 then sit down with at least $200 in chips, if you only have $100 stick to 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed
Old 06-10-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

[/ QUOTE ]

I concur. I usually sit with at least 180 in a 3/6 game. 300-400 in a 5/10.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:14 PM

Ideally, you should always have 12 BB on the table, in case each round gets capped. If they unlimited betting heads up, it's worth having extra money on the table, just in case you hit the nizzutz.

I played 5/10 with a kill a couple of weeks ago and bought in for $500. I dropped $400 of it despite playing pretty well (by which point, I had put another $200 on the table in case I hit a big hand). I was fortunate to end the day up $200.

The point is that poker is swingy. Playing 4/8 with $100 will give you a non-trivial probability of busting out, even if you're the world's greatest player. If you can't afford to put more on the table (no shame in that), you're probably better off playing online for micro stakes.

(A lot of people have started their poker playing by buying in for $50 at a site with low-limit (e.g. 0.25/0.50 or lower) games and eventually worked their bankrolls up to several hundred or several thousand dollars or more.)
Old 06-10-2005, 08:18 PM

Two nights ago I lost nearly 50 BB at a 6/12 game before winning a single pot. I was down to the felt when i turned 2-pair, finally winning a pot and couldn't get full value out of my hand against bottom 2 pair because I was shortstacked and ready to go home. Do yourself a favour and play within your limits. Do not buy in for less than 25 BB and reload when down to 12 BB.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just 1 hand will get me 50$ considering the looseness of my oppents.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem is that your good hands won't always win. Sometimes, you will get AA and it will be the best hand to the river where someone will make two pair. When that happens, you will lose a bunch of money rather than winning $50. Sometiems, there is no way too avoid losing a lot of money here, no matter how good you are (especially if the game is loose), so you need to have enough money so that you can keep playing even if you lose a few big hands, and $100 is not enough. The people who think as you do end up getting wiped out if they don't win their first few hands and are stuck on the rail complaing about their "bad beats".
Old 06-10-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two nights ago I lost nearly 50 BB at a 6/12 game before winning a single pot. I was down to the felt when i turned 2-pair, finally winning a pot and couldn't get full value out of my hand against bottom 2 pair because I was shortstacked and ready to go home. Do yourself a favour and play within your limits. Do not buy in for less than 25 BB and reload when down to 12 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part where u put your house up as collatoral. You've seen cincinnati kid right?