Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 PM

Default Flopped a set, comments on my line please...

MP2 is 56/31/4.3. Raises pre-flop with all sorts of stuff, suited cards, aces, even had a couple of 73o in there. $1 is his standard raise. Despite those "fishy" figures though, I've been watching him, and he's done well. His post flop play seems to be pretty decent. Haven't seen him show down anything stupid. 16% WtSD% and 62.5% W$SD%.

So anyway, my thinking on the flop is that because it's a drawless board my check and call would slow him down and I would not be able to get a check raise in on the turn. So I check raised to a decent amount here, hoping he would think I was bluffing.

How do you like that line of thinking? If so, did I raise enough on the flop? Or, should I have gone with some other line?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) converter

UTG ($29.35)
UTG+1 ($15.6)
Hero ($62.75)
MP2 ($142.25)
CO ($26.2)
Button ($24.12)
SB ($7.3)
BB ($15.34)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $0.75.

Flop: ($2.35) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, MP2 folds.

Final Pot: $15.35
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 PM

Default Re: Flopped a set, comments on my line please...

I would wait for the turn myself. Think about what he would put you on if you check-raised the flop? Top two, a set. I think you are showing too much strength too early and gives him too much of a chance to easily get away from this hand. If he is taking down pots with the silly cards that he has been playing, he hasn't been doing it by checking turncards. It is pretty much a drawless flop unless he raised with 45. Let him take another shot at it on the turn (remember, if he has shown down with those kind of hands he needs to convince you that first that he has an Ace and then that he has an Ace with a better kicker.) You have a wonderful opportunity to get all of you money in here if you can get him to bet the pot on the turn. That makes a $30 pot plus your raise instead of a $9 pot plus your raise. If he calls your turn check raise then he is pot committed and you are a happy man.

Da Fly

PS- I might be completely wrong
Old 06-10-2005, 12:56 AM

i almost always fast play my sets, but heads up on this board is probably one of the only situations where i might decide to smooth call the flop.

EDIT: check-raising is the worst line ever here. the only thing you could have is a set or two pair. you're only going to get called by AA or 77...maybe A7, but that's a dubious hand for him to hold. when i first read it, i thought you were in position. i'm leading the flop here for $2.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:00 AM

Call the flop. Then lead out the turn for say $6.

Alternatively, overbet the flop yourself and hope to get raised on either the turn or flop itself, because you are really going to need to get a lot of bets in.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:44 AM

Bet the flop. Let AK raise you. Call. Check/raise the turn.

If I had AK on this board, I'd fold to the check/raise. If you cold-called my flop bet, it's not like you're drawing, so I'm probably checking the turn.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bet the flop. Let AK raise you. Call. Check/raise the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain doesn't have AK.

Villain is far more likely to bluff you off your hand if you come out betting. Very unlikely for someone(even a super lag) to bluff a strong cr on the flop.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:41 PM

After thinking about it and reading the comments, frankly, I really don't know how I got to the conclusion I got to, to try and C/R the flop. My typical line is to bet out when I have something. Through some bizarre attempt at trying to outsmart the opponent, I likely went and costed myself some money. Ugh! Oh well, I'll just make sure to not do it again...

Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:03 PM

I think people are too harsh on your line. I do the same thing. This will not be the first time I check raise him on the flop though (he's the perfect target for bluff check raising). If I haven't check raised him a couple of times before, I smooth call the flop bet I think.

Why would you lead into him if 73o is in his hand range? Don't listen to that.

EDIT: Haha, well. 73o was a bad example of a poor hand on this board. You get my pont anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2005, 01:14 PM

If you smooth call the flop, what's the plan on the turn? My bizarre logic from last night was telling me that if I check called the flop on a drawless board like that, his suspicions would be raised, and that he'd check behind me on the turn.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:34 PM

if you check and smooth call the flop then you should check the turn as well, he'll likely read that as a hand with marginal value that wants to go to show down, he'll then bet into you again sensing weakness, then you can make a mini raise that given the pot he'll call with almost any hand then bet out on the river.