Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Default amazing 2005 WSOP Event #2 story

Story taken from http://www.pokerwire.com.

http://www.pokerwire.com/gl/plain.ph...50608132727178

The Value of Luck

A walk through any portion of the Rio serves as a reminder of the events that are underway. Every conversation I overhear involves suits, flops and stack sizes. It’s all poker all the time here, so it’s inevitable that the halls echo with tales of bad beats and cold decks. I’ve spent much of the last year on tour, playing cash games that accompany the tournament circuit, so I’m well-aware that Ace-King will often lose to Ace-rag. I listen to the never-ending recitations of these stories, but I don’t have much interest. I shrug and say, “That’ll happen.”

But, when an acquaintance from Dallas flagged me down and insisted I listen to the story of a hand, I knew I was in for something special. Marco is too good, too experienced to trap me with a bad beat story. It concerned the winner of the $1,500 No Limit Hold ‘em event, Allen Cunningham, who took home a cool $700,000+ Sunday. I will now relate the story as it was told to me. I believe it to be accurate, as Marco is a credible source. But, I’ve yet to find a second source to confirm the hand.

Marco was at a table where both Dewey Tomko and Allen Cunningham were playing. With the blinds at $300/$600 and a $100 ante, Tomko raised under-the-gun, making it $1,800 to go. Cunningham, who was close to the felt, called the bet, which put him all-in. Marco, with pocket 10s opted to call. The chip leader at the table was a drunk in the big blind who was splashing his chips around without much regard to his cards. When he saw Marco put his chips in, he announced to the table that he’d call no matter what two cards he held; the pot was too big for him to fold. And that’s what he did.

The flop came A-4-4, and the drunk moved in. Now Tomko went in the tank and thought a full three minutes before mucking. Allen was all-in pre-flop, and Marco, with a pair of 10s, had to believe he was behind, so he mucked. The hands were then turned face up. The drunk: held 5-8; he’d bluffed at a dry side-pot against a player who was all-in. Cunningham then showed K-Q. Tomko was irate. He’d had an Ace apparently, but was concerned about his kicker given the number of players in the pot behind him. He let the drunk know how he felt.

Then the turn: a 10. Now Marco let out a scream. He’d have turned a boat. With both Tomko and Marco crowing for different reasons, the table was attracting a crowd: A wreck was underway and people wanted a view of the mayhem. The river: the last 10. Marco let out a wail. Quads - he’d have hit quads. Outrageous.

The dealer examined the hands and saw that it was a split pot: T-T-4-4, with an ace Kicker for both players. Allen was in business.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: amazing 2005 WSOP Event #2 story

That's ridiculous
Old 06-09-2005, 09:56 PM

so allen was lucky the drunk outplayed the other two guys, i get it, big deal
Old 06-09-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! He bluffed all-in into a dry side pot, breaking one of the most important unspoken rules in tournament poker. Brilliantly played.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly! He bluffed all-in into a dry side pot, breaking one of the most important unspoken rules in tournament poker. Brilliantly played.

[/ QUOTE ]
which unspoken rule would that be?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When one player is all-in against multiple players, they normally check it down or only bet when they have a hand to ensure that the player all-in gets eliminated.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When one player is all-in against multiple players, they normally check it down or only bet when they have a hand to ensure that the player all-in gets eliminated.

[/ QUOTE ]
hmm, i didnt think that applied early in a tourney
Old 06-09-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
amazing story

[/ QUOTE ]

dont ever [censored] lie to me again.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:18 PM

regardless of any unspoken rule, the drunk bet when he had almost no chance of winning, he is probably not gonna take the main pot with the 8 high and and if anyone has a good ace or 4 he is in trouble. it was just a stupid play all around.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:28 PM

Quit calling me a drunk, please. I had only had 4 bourbon and cokes and 2 beers. And in my defense, they were soooooted.
(sw)