Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2003, 03:59 PM

Default How would YOU play this? Part 1

This is a two part post because the information on flop play is more of what I'm interested in. I believe the rest of the hand plays fairly easily depending on what you do on the flop. Please read part one before reading part two. Thanks in advance for your comments.

You are in a short handed game, only five players. You know how everyone plays. BB is loose-aggressive, UTG is loose-passive, MP is tight-passive, B is tight-aggressive but you've seen him 3 bet QJo so it's up in the air now. You, the SB, fancies himself the best player at the table. Let's get on with the hand now.

You have TJo . Everyone has limped in as do you. The BB raises and everyone calls.

Flop: A[img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

There are many questions about how to play this flop. I just want to know if anyone would (A) bet this flop, (B) check raise, or (C) call any bets planning to check raise the turn?

TBC.

~stephen
Old 01-07-2003, 04:00 PM

Default How would YOU play this? Part 2

The BB bet, UTG called, MP and Button folded. I smooth called.

Turn: K[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

BB bet, UTG called, I raised, BB called, UTG folded.

River: Q[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img]

Does anyone value bet? I checked, BB bet and I called. My hand was good.

My friends said that betting the flop here is a better play because you want to be raised. I'm not sure that's entirely true but I do see his point. The hand is still vulnerable if the board pairs and, as you can see in this case, it paired twice.

What are everyone elses thoughts?

~stephen
Old 01-07-2003, 04:13 PM

Default Re: How would YOU play this? Part 1

When I flop the nuts I almost always bet since I think this is the most deceptive play that you can make. In my experience trying for check raises usually makes you less money because you often miss bets. Betting a flop such as this with the nuts also sets you up nicely for other hands since they now have to respect what you are representing.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: How would YOU play this? Part 2

I would not value bet the river after the board two paired. I think that it was incredible that your hand was still good in that situation. I would have done exactly as you did, check, call and hold my breath.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:33 PM

I'd bet the flop and expect to get raised by the BB. I'd hope that this hit one of the tight players enough for them to cold-call or raise. Either way, I'd call and go for the check-raise on the turn.
Old 01-07-2003, 04:41 PM

I'd play the turn as you did most of the time. With a very aggressive BB, I might bet out on the turn expecting to get raised by the BB representing something big, then 3-bet.

I'd check-call the river as well.
Old 01-07-2003, 05:41 PM

I think that is important to note that the BB in this case is a maniac on tilt and is prone to giving excessive action. I would bet out and hope to go to war on the flop while I still liked my hand; narrowing the field is an admirable goal given the pot size. There are a lot of cards to come that could cause you to lose or split. On the turn it is necessary to slow down as even a maniac can get a hand and if you are not beat than let him bet your hand. On the river a crying call is in order given that your opponent could have about anything but a value bet is out of the question unless he dropped his cards face up. Maybe next we can discuss the proper play of 2 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] from the small blind for a raise? [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sno
Old 01-07-2003, 08:00 PM

Well you have the flopped nuts on a rainbow board so I think betting out would be a mistake. There a better than average chance the BB will raise you here and drive away any players that are drawing dead/nearly dead. I would most likely wait till the turn to lower the boom on the field here.

PokerPrince
Old 01-07-2003, 08:46 PM

I haven't read any of the other responses, but I would bet this flop 100% of the time. It's hard to say I always do something, but this is one of those situations.

There are too many ways this flop can hit the other players and give them a chance to raise. You are in a perfect spot to trap players in between when you 3 bet. I used to get cute and check raise alot more, but after reading this forums I've changed my mind. You'll get more money in the long run by betting out.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:50 PM

I liked the way you played the turn and the river. It all seems pretty straight forward. I wouldn't call a bet on the river a "value bet", I would call it a bluff. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]