Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 07:45 AM

Default 99 - value bet this river?

Villain VPIP 40, pfr 0 (but no one hands for him where he should raise but don't raised) postflop agr 0.11
I don't think he can employ fancy things...

Value bet river?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (6.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.70 BB
Old 06-09-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: 99 - value bet this river?

No? what hand is he calling you with that you beat?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM

I'd probably check behind on the turn and hope for an 8 on the river (and also hope a 9 or queen would make my hand best).

I don't see much of a value bet on the river. I think MP1 most likely has a better hand and won't fold (though he might checkraise).
Old 06-09-2005, 07:55 AM

66,88?
Other question - can I fold QQ here?
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd probably check behind on the turn and hope for an 8 on the river (and also hope a 9 or queen would make my hand best).

[/ QUOTE ]

I particullary don't like check behind on turn because his bet on river if A will come will mean anything (bluff?)... In this case I can safely fold when he bet this Ace.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I particullary don't like check behind on turn because his bet on river if A will come will mean anything (bluff?)... In this case I can safely fold when he bet this Ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless Villain all of a sudden got frisky preflop, I think the chances that you're ahead on the turn are pretty small. You do have some potential outs, though. (However, I wouldn't feel too comfortable if I caught a queen.) The chances of getting Villain to fold a better hand don't seem very good to me, either, since he probably at least has a pair and a gutshot.

I'm not sure I see the point of putting in a bet on the turn in order to give you information about whether to call on the river if a scary card hits. (And, actually, the board seems plenty scary enough to me already, since I only have 99 and am up against someone who raised preflop for the first time since he sat down.)
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure I see the point of putting in a bet on the turn in order to give you information about whether to call on the river if a scary card hits. (And, actually, the board seems plenty scary enough to me already, since I only have 99 and am up against someone who raised preflop for the first time since he sat down.)

[/ QUOTE ]

So - check behind turn and call any non A river? Is it better way to play this hand?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So - check behind turn and call any non A river? Is it better way to play this hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure I'd call unimproved on the river if a complete blank fell.

What range of hands are you putting MP1 on? Based on the stats you gave, he seems like a very passive player. I know he just check-called the flop, but he could just be scared because you 3-bet preflop. (Or perhaps he flopped a monster and decided to slowplay.)

I guess maybe a turn check from you would prompt him to bet the river with 88 or 66-22, but that's not really what I'd expect him to have in the first place, and I'm not sure he'd bet the river with those hands if he did have them.

I guess I'm saying the board is a very unfavorable one for your 99, versus a preflop raiser.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:24 AM

its not a value bet. its a bluff. so the real question you should ask yourself is... is it going to work?
Old 06-09-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Other question - can I fold QQ here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I very much doubt your opponent would fold QQ -- on the river or the turn.

(Look at the board again. I think you're missing something here.)