Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 02:44 AM

Default Party 30K hand, do you push here?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t6000 (8 handed) converter

MP1 (t105026)
MP2 (t54020)
CO (t93444)
Button (t33874)
SB (t10362)
Hero (t35768)
UTG (t78073)
UTG+1 (t7072)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t12000</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t6000.

Flop: (t27000) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero raises t23768, MP2 calls t23768.

Turn: (t50768) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t50768) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t50768
Old 06-09-2005, 02:52 AM

Default Re: Party 30K hand, do you push here?

I fold PF. Bet yes, having called PF, I push here. You have few chips remaining, he will fold an underpair, and you will hit a flush 35% of the time.

CSC
Old 06-09-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold PF. Bet yes, having called PF, I push here. You have few chips remaining, he will fold an underpair, and you will hit a flush 35% of the time.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was trying to push MP2 out so that I could go heads up with the SB (who was all in).
Old 06-09-2005, 03:03 AM

hmm. as you are involved in a protected pot, it is much better to check here. Protected pots are often checked down, and your hand needs to improve to beat even the SB. You are basically bluffing your entire stack to win 4k (the side pot). If you are gonna hit your flush, you might as well have the other guy in the hand as well. When I first read this, I didn't know the SB was AI. In that case, you should chk/call or chk down. You aren't winning anything with 7 high.

CSC
Old 06-09-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hmm. as you are involved in a protected pot, it is much better to check here. Protected pots are often checked down, and your hand needs to improve to beat even the SB. You are basically bluffing your entire stack to win 4k (the side pot). If you are gonna hit your flush, you might as well have the other guy in the hand as well. When I first read this, I didn't know the SB was AI. In that case, you should chk/call or chk down. You aren't winning anything with 7 high.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I should have taken more time to think that one out. It was a risk I took to hoping to either double up, or at least force out MP2 and get back about t25000 (or more if I could beat the SB). Oh well, it sucks busting out with about 25 left, but I wouldn't be saying that if I hit my flush.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:07 AM

I agree that folding this pre-flop is the right play.

As for flop play, when the blinds get this high, a min-raise could still be a pretty decent hand (over the weekend I saw guys limping in LP for 20% of their stack with AK - crazy) and I have to think:

a) The villain probaby caught a piece of this flop.
b) Your folding equity is pretty minimal. (Should he fold a queen or jack to your push? Probably. Will he? Probably not.)

See you out there,

Sam
Old 06-09-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with all of this. the only thing i would add is that pushing has the advantage of possibly cleaning up your 6/7 outs. but check/call any is still the best play.