Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:13 PM

Default Raising with flush draw on 3rd?

Here is the senario. The player to my left posted the bring in bet and all the whole table called. I am last to act and have three diamonds. There are no other diamonds showing. I am obviously going to play my flush draw in this multiway pot. I completed the bet knowing that all 7 of the players would call to build the pot. Is this the correct play. I am new to stud so please excuse the newbie question. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Raising with flush draw on 3rd?

seems reasonable, especially if you also have high cards that are live. As was just said in another post, you are something like 20% (a little more?) to win with a totally live 3 flush, but you are only putting in an eighth of the money...seems like good equity
Old 06-08-2005, 05:22 PM

You can do this sometimes. It should not be automatic. Three flushes generally wants a cheap bring in. The percentages are not great for catching a flush. They become significantly higher when you catch a live four flush on fourth street and go down each street if you do not make it.

I would be more apt to do this in this situation a) you are as certain as you can be that everyone will call and no one will reraise knocking out other players b)I have at minimum two high cards over the board that are live c)I have live three straight flush draw with my pair cards and primary and secondary straight flush cards live (a monster!!!).
Old 06-08-2005, 05:39 PM

It seems fairly low-risk to me. I'll do that if I've got the Ace buried. Builds a little dead money and get paid better on later streets. I also think it disguises your hand somewhat.

If it gets capped before it gets back to you, it's an easy laydown.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can do this sometimes. It should not be automatic. Three flushes generally wants a cheap bring in. The percentages are not great for catching a flush. They become significantly higher when you catch a live four flush on fourth street and go down each street if you do not make it.

I would be more apt to do this in this situation a) you are as certain as you can be that everyone will call and no one will reraise knocking out other players b)I have at minimum two high cards over the board that are live c)I have live three straight flush draw with my pair cards and primary and secondary straight flush cards live (a monster!!!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is getting 7:1 on his money, he is close to 3:1 to hit his hand. He is very likely to win if he hits his hand. He should put as much money in as possible. Learn to play 3 flushes like a tough guy.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:33 PM

Nah. You be tough...I want to make the most I can per hour.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:50 PM

BTW, He's about 5:1 on third street not 3:1. Right? That's why the qualifications are important.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, He's about 5:1 on third street not 3:1. Right? That's why the qualifications are important.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, as was pointed out in another post, he has a 23% chance of getting there... (1-.236)/.236 = 3.236:1 .

He's getting 7:1 every $$ he puts in since he assumed they were all calling.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM

damn...I was only a journalism major!
Old 06-09-2005, 12:06 AM

Beer,
You're right. You should be pouring chips in this pot if you can get the entire table to call. The really nice thing here is that when the whole table plays you will have a truckload of info to decide how to play 4th. If you catch good your equity edge will be gi-normous. If you brick but you don't see many of suit fall you are still looking decent (because if you've seen 18 cards and only 1 of your suit is dead (not counting your 3) your chance of catching a couple of your suit in the next 3 cards is decent). Its not great. But if you are multiway you can easily call a bet to see if 5th street is good to you.