Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Default AQs in BB, common situation

First hand at table no reads. Im preflop raiser with a big ace and a card comes higher than my kicker. What do I do?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero ????
Old 06-08-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: AQs in BB, common situation

With a ragged board and only 3 opponents, I think a standard continuation bet is in order. The BDFD helps your case too.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:04 PM

It depends on reads, if the opponents are weak-tight folders, bet. If they are a bunch of calling stations, check call and see the turn. You've got a bfd,bsd, and an over that could be reverse dominated. The pot is a good size but unless they are the type to fold a pair to 1 bet you really arent gaining anything by betting.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:08 PM

You have the advantage of being the PF aggressor, so I'd fire one off. Re-evaluate on the turn based on what card falls and how many opponents are left with you.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:15 PM

a blank fell on the turn with only CO left after I bet.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With a ragged board and only 3 opponents, I think a standard continuation bet is in order. The BDFD helps your case too.

[/ QUOTE ]

A continuation bet is mainly a NL play and not against 3 other opponents. Here not a lot of ppl will fold with 10:1 odds. Check-call is fine.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A continuation bet is mainly a NL play

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. For example, against 2 opponents I'll fire a bet on the flop 90% of the time.

[ QUOTE ]
and not against 3 other opponents

[/ QUOTE ]

3 opponents is borderline for me. Against 4 I'll check-call it. If the board were more coordinated, I'd also check. On a ragged flop like this, I'll bet.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a blank fell on the turn with only CO left after I bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

HU with a turn blank, I'll fire away again with my fold equity. If he calls, I'd say it's safe to assume CO is holding Kx. Reads would help there (does CO call down with nothing, or only when he has a hand). Barring anything short of an ace on the river, I'd check/fold.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:45 PM

In NL you can adjust the odds of the other players calling you. So when you bet you either expect to take the pot b/c you don't give odds to weak draws etc or expect to get info and avoid losing more money in later streets. If you get called you know that you are probably beat. Again you rarely do it against 3 players.

In this example you have 3 opponents with 10:1 odds to call. It is unlikely that you'll win the pot and if they call, you will have no info at all.
What do you think a bet would achieve here?
Old 06-08-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this example you have 3 opponents with 10:1 odds to call. It is unlikely that you'll win the pot and if they call, you will have no info at all.
What do you think a bet would achieve here?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think (1) I have the best hand some amount of the time, (2) small pocket pairs (which are better than my hand) will fold this flop much of the time, and (3) where did you get the idea that this was a bet for information, and how is check-call giving you more information?