Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Higher Stakes with Low Bank Roll

If you want to play $30-$60 you would need a BankRoll of around $18000 which is 300 x BB.. My little BankRoll of $4500 just won't cut it. I do however work full time for a living and was thinking of taking a shot at a higher limit. I was thinking of maybe hitting a $10-$20 or $15-$30 games. I just wondered what everyones view was on this move. Bad play? or worth a shot.

Also what kinda bankroll do you guys take when you play these levels.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:33 AM

Default Re: Higher Stakes with Low Bank Roll

What do you want to hear?

"Yeah just take a shot, your 100bb bankroll is enough!"
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 AM

Sure take a shot if your bankroll is replenishable. But if you're asking such beginner questions it's probably a good idea to play smaller and pay less for your lessons.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:35 AM

You can take a shot at any limit you want with about 25 large bets...just be prepared to lose it. The 300 bet bankroll requirement is a guideline for a bankroll THAT CAN'T BE REPLACED and assumes a player want to play at the same limit for the rest of his life. How important is your $4500 bankroll to you? Is it easily replaced? Would losing it cause you distress? These are questions you have to ask yourself and risk tolerance varies by individual. I have played 100-200 before and don't have a six figure bankroll.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 PM

pay attention also to the part about that unreplaceable bankroll being all for the same limit. I make a practice of moving down to win it back if I lose enough to put a bad taste in my mouth. I can take a kick in the stomach, but I don't like to risk two in a row. I have no problem spending weeks at a limit I'm supposed to have graduated from. Winning makes you feel better.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:01 AM

I'm an advocate of taking shots. For those of us with jobs who start this as a hobby; it's pretty ridiculous (if you think you're good enough) to be playing 2/4. If you can handle losing your buyin, go for it.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:07 AM

I agree 100%. A good job is a nice safety net (in addition to a solid bankroll) to be able to play for healthy stakes. Some people aren't built like this though and only see dollar amounts. But taking shots is how I am able to play the limits I do today. Of course, you have to be responsible and never risk money you truly can't afford to lose. But I think the best players have gamble in them and will take chances. You have to make the most of your playing time (unless it is strictly a hobby for you and profits don't matter). I personally like to splash.

Jeff
Old 06-08-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree 100%. A good job is a nice safety net (in addition to a solid bankroll) to be able to play for healthy stakes. Some people aren't built like this though and only see dollar amounts. But taking shots is how I am able to play the limits I do today. Of course, you have to be responsible and never risk money you truly can't afford to lose. But I think the best players have gamble in them and will take chances. You have to make the most of your playing time (unless it is strictly a hobby for you and profits don't matter). I personally like to splash.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. I've repeated my luckbox story a few times. But in regards to this, I played 15/30 for the first time with a 1800 bankroll in the fall. 2/3 successful shots within 2 weeks and I've never looked back. But to put it in perspective. The first shot? (the unsuccessful one) I lost my full buy in ($750).
Old 06-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Ok I'm Liking your views here.... what about if I do this then.. take half my bank roll around $2200 and take a shot at the $15-$30 if I win then so be it, I'll stay for awhile if I lose I can go back to playing the low limit games i've grown to hate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 11:43 AM

Seems reasonable to me. That 2200 allows you three 25 big bet shots. Don't blow it all at once. You have three shots with that roll. Good luck.

Jeff