Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:24 AM

Default Why is PokerStars only giving the love to brand new players?

PokerStars is offering a bunch of WSOP freerolls, but only to folks who made their first real money deposits after May 26. Why they snubbing people who signed up a little earlier than that? I can understand trying to attract new players, but why alienate your existing players to do it?

When I emailed PokerStars support my the response I got was that they have offered lots of promotions to existing players over time so we should be happy. Then the person noted that I only signed up a little while ago and I haven't benefited from these promotions, but (direct quote)

"As you gain more time with PokerStars, you will experience many promotions that you can participate in worth millions of dollars."

Jeez thanks a lot PokerStars. Way to make all your customer base feel loved.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:46 AM

Default Re: Why is PokerStars only giving the love to brand new players?

The existing customers that are worth anything to them will have the Frequent Players Points to participate in the WSOP events.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Getting more fish

Let them spend the money getting the fish, I'll get it from them. I am also very happy with the FPP. I fully reccomend the leather jacket but order it two sizes big, I am glad I found that out on this forum before I ordered it.

Joe
Old 06-08-2005, 04:11 AM

i think lee jones made a comment on this on in the zoo last week. i think theyre hoping for a miracle that a first time brand new player makes a huge score at the WSOP just for the publicity that kind of story would bring.

not to mention all the other reasons stated in posts above.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Well, the thing is they make their profits off the rake of the regulars. Now they are taking the profits from that rake and giving $12k x number of seats to people who've never really contributed to their profits (or to people who create a 2nd account).

I can understand why they think that publicity would be a good thing, but I don't think (in general) a company wants to make existing customers feel less valued than "new customers." You often see companies run promotions for new customers. When existing customers call and say they'd like to get the same promotion benefit, companies almost always give it to them. They don't want to gain new cusotmers at the expense of alienating their existing customers.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$12k x number of seats to people who've never really contributed to their profits (or to people who create a 2nd account)

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear what you are saying...I do think you have a miconception about this promotion however. It is not intended to generate new accounts (you will notice a cut-off date of 25th May), but simply to convert existing players who had signed up for play money (via PokerStars.net or just those that never actually got round to depositing).

It's the first time that we have tried anything like this, and you have to remember that we have offered great promotions in the past to our real money players and will continue to give away lots in the future.

If you look at this program as a single event, I can see where you could feel that play money players are getting a better deal. But if you look at the larger picture, there are many opportunities that have been available to you in which play money players could not participate.

Finally a point which I feel that many are missing, is that you have a WHOLE BUNCH of players that are play money players trying to earn FPP to play in these satellites -- thats a good thing for everyone [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Happy fishing...

Rom
Old 06-08-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear what you are saying...I do think you have a miconception about this promotion however. It is not intended to generate new accounts (you will notice a cut-off date of 25th May), but simply to convert existing players who had signed up for play money (via PokerStars.net or just those that never actually got round to depositing).

[/ QUOTE ]

That part applied to me, and this promotion drew me in. I like this site, so you'll find me to be at least a semi-regular player there from now on.

And yeah, it's definitely drawing in a lot more fish. I'm almost exclusively a limit player, but playing in one of the Round 1 NL promo tourneys I was just shaking my head the whole time with all the bizarre plays going on. Looking forward to taking a shot at the Round 2 tourney on Sunday.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:32 PM

Yeah, that is almost word for word the response I got from PokerStars support. Except that the support person noted that since I haven't played there very long I haven't seen any of these "great promotions." But I will see promotions "worth millions" in the future.

If your existing base don't raise their eyebrows over this I guess you've judged the situation well. I like the PokerStars site, though I haven't played there for long. But this has kind of dampered my enthusiasm for playing there.

So,

+10,000 to the PS bottom line for all the new people you've brought in (I guess).
-1 for at least one customer that feels gipped.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:36 PM

Hey PK, I have an account at PokerStars that I've never funded. I think I'll go fund it tonight, build up a few FPP's, and then enter some of those free WSOP tourneys you can't enter!

ha ha! neener neener neener!
Old 06-08-2005, 02:54 PM

lol Judo!

Nice meeting you at Diamond Lil's the other week. Sorry about that bad beat you took. QQ vs T7--who would of thunk it!?

And great job at the $100NL tables on Party last night. I think I saw you take down almost enough for a direct wsop buyin with last night's profits alone! You don't need those free PokerStars wsop tournaments! You're gonna have to teach me how to play!