Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 12:45 PM

Default QQ vs. Big Blind

I'm playing .50/1.00 NL, I just sat down. I have QQ in the SB everyone folds I make it $3, the BB makes it $5. I consider flat calling because I don't want to invest a lot out of position. However, I decide that the BB would raise with a lot of hands thinking I'm on a steal, so I decide to make it $15. He flat calls and the flop is Axx, I check and fold. I'm wondering if I could have played this better or if I just have to lose when an Ace comes...
Old 06-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: QQ vs. Big Blind

I think you need to make a bet on the flop. He could be raising here with any pp.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:27 PM

I was thinking I should 'protect my children,' but I would have to bet about half my stack. If he raises obviously I have to fold, even if he flat calls for some reason I'm giving up. I'm thinking most of the hands he reraises then calls with will have an Ace, if it was a King-high flop I would have bet. He probably doesn't have a big pair, or he would push. If he had a small pair he would probably fold. I should bet if I re-raise, but I'm wondering if I should flat call preflop out of position and wait for a safe flop...that seems a little weak and I'd probably be giving up too much value to inferior hands. Am I stuck re-reaising and giving away a flop bet when he doesn't fold or is there another way to play this hand?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:45 PM

The problem is you don't know if he has an Ace or is representing one. That is also true if you bet and he raises you.

An ace is not what you want to see, but you should bet 1/2 the pot and see what happens.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:09 PM

Do you both have $100 stacks?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:06 PM

I'm definatly betting this flop strong. I've seen people muck aces in the same situation.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:52 AM

No, I had about $35 when we took the flop, he had about the same. That's part of the problem. However, the other stacks weren't very big either and I hate to reward loose play with high implied odds. But, I digress as that belongs on another thread...
Old 06-09-2005, 05:59 AM

You could *bet* when the A comes.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:08 AM

He reraised and called another reraise. At this point I'm quite sure he won't be folding a an Ace. I beleive he is either folding without an Ace or is married to an Ace. I should probably have bet the flop and would have either in position if checked to or if the Ace was a King. I put him on a big Ace the way he played the hand, however.
I still haven't heard if anyone thinks a flat call before the flop is reasonable.