Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 07:11 AM

Default I\'m playing like a complete donk.

The last five days or so I've been playing the $2000. Played bad, played way too many hours, played drunk. Dumb.

Thankfully I'm up a tiny bit, yet very annoyed. I do think I've run a little bad but my play has been pretty dire at times. I've gone from crushing the $1000 6 max to being the fish at times in these new games.

It's not even as though the whole problem is laying down hands at the full tables, although admittedly this is a weakness. I feel like I'm getting totally outplayed at the shorter games. I'm sick of seeing 'bad' players sat with $10k or so.

I do think the standard is higher than at the $1000, and I'm aware that some of these players I refer to as 'bad' are probably just outplaying me. A lot of my shorthanded play of late has looked like bruiser's play in this thread. I love that thread, very honest, very funny, very helpful.

Anyway, I'm going to take a day off, tighten up, read the archives, and work on my reads and my game. I'm still keen but I think I've been totally overdoing the hours lately and it's really not helped.

I'm aware this is a rambling post, maybe not that helpful, but I needed to get it off my chest.

Best of luck.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: I\'m playing like a complete donk.

Take a few days off bro. Go to the beach. Have some fun. Don't think about poker. Things will fix themselves.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:40 AM

Just relax in the pasture with the other farm animals and lay off the booze. It's so tempting to drink a few brews playing at home, but that could easily account for most of your problems. Regarding getting outplayed, it's easy to become a calling station because so many players make so many moves, but they're entitled to do that just like you and you just have to lay down more marginal hands and not push them so hard especially out of position. I try always to ask myself on each hand, do I want to play a big pot or a small pot with it, and then play accordingly, even if it means checking more so as not to setup steal plays for other players.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:08 AM

i think that you are seeing bad players with big stacks, as well as hearing about others in the game making big money, and you are probably trying to force it.

add that up with not running well, and you arent doing too bad being up what you are.

keep your head up, and Ill even let you play at my tables tomorrow, that always seems to help your BR. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

gl dude, but you dont need it. the cards will turn your way, and you'll laugh at this post in the very near future.

fsuplayer
Old 06-07-2005, 10:01 AM

Yeah, I've been crushing 5-10 full and 6-max this year so far, so I tried the 10-20 for a while and I think I figured out I'm on high stakes tilt.

I've been a complete fish at that level so far - overplaying hands, forcing way too much, making bad "plays", being too aggressive in general and playing way too many hands.

Luckily, it has only cost me $4750 to figure this out (over like 6 hours or so). So I've almost made all that money back at 5-10 in the past three days and will be trying to move up again, this time conciously playing rockish from the start and then opening up my game when I have better reads on the situation.

good luck.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:12 AM

if u can make almost 5k in 3 days at 5-10nl online i would say u could make 3x that in the ac 5-10nl games..although i do not play 5-10nl online but have played in the live verison in ac and the typically score in that game well...its very good.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just relax in the pasture with the other farm animals and lay off the booze. It's so tempting to drink a few brews playing at home, but that could easily account for most of your problems. Regarding getting outplayed, it's easy to become a calling station because so many players make so many moves, but they're entitled to do that just like you and you just have to lay down more marginal hands and not push them so hard especially out of position. I try always to ask myself on each hand, do I want to play a big pot or a small pot with it, and then play accordingly, even if it means checking more so as not to setup steal plays for other players.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is on the money. I ask myself the same thing, though a little differently: "Is this hand going to double me up?"
Old 06-07-2005, 01:49 PM

I played 20 hands earlier, one table. I know these are pretty boring but bear with me :

5 handed.
I have T9hh in the BB.
UTG limps, SB completes.

678ss, $45, call call
Ts, $175, fold, raise to $400, I call.
As, chk fold $650.

Can I fold the turn here? Probably not, but perhaps, his AF factor is only 1.5. Even if the spade doesn't come on the river I can't call should he decide to bet $650.

I'm calling way too many turns and folding way too many rivers, perfectly illustrated by this example.

5 handed.
I'm SB with JJ and $2k.

UTG+1 limps, I make it $85 with JJ, BB calls, UTG+1 calls. (UTG+1 has $300 left)

Q42, chk, $100, fold, call
8, chk, $275, call
7, chk, $425, fold.

I've turned into such an idiot, I would always normally bet out here and probably give it up on the turn.

I'm aware these are boring hands and the latter is really bad, but I need to get out of this playing scared and bad mindset.

A huge part of my problem is calling people on the flop and turn thinking it will slow them down (hey, it did at the $1k!), and leaving myself with awful river decisions.

Terrible. Comments welcome.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:46 PM

It sounds to me like you have clearly identified and stated the problem: "I'm playing scared and playing with a bad mindset". Only you know the answer to this. Something has changed so figure out what the real problem is, then work on the real problem instead of the symptoms.

The only other tried and true method I know of for regaining your old form is to keep experimenting with different games until you find one you can CRUSH. Constant success wil restore your confidence.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've turned into such an idiot, I would always normally bet out here and probably give it up on the turn.

I'm aware these are boring hands and the latter is really bad...

[/ QUOTE ]

The big problem with that latter hand, especially if you're new to that group of opponents, is the way it looks to the rest of the table.

The check-call, check-call, check-fold line on a drawless board is a terrible image play- it opens you up big time, and it's very hard to even exploit later (unless you adopt an all-passive, all trapping style or are willing to make a big move with a marginal hand). Once you're "established", it's no big deal, but I always make a note when I see a new player do it.

But I'm sure you know this. It's natural to play scared when first moving up. You'll find a comfort zone eventually. Good post. Hang in there.