Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2005, 05:50 AM

Default Is this bad play?

MTT - Cheap to enter (£2.25).

I'm in Mid position holding a pair of 10's. Blinds 100/200, I have a stack of 5400. Everyone folds to me, I raise 600. remainder folds round to BB who goes all in with 7500. I go all in, he turns over AK , flops and ace, I'm out.

Bad play ? should i have folded to his all in or was my initial raise to low ?

please help.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Is this bad play?

The amount of your raise was fine. This type of raise is almost always two overcards. TT is a slight favorite against two overcards. A little more than half the time you'll double up. the rest of the time you're out. I usually like to take those odds. In your case, with a pretty nice stack I'd fold. But at the end of the day, you got all your chips in as a slight favorite so don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:10 AM

I respectfully disagree. We don't have nearly enough information to decide whether a flip situation is optimal. What stage of the tourney? Relative stack sizes? How deep is $$ paid? Reads on other players? etc. etc. etc.

He's got 24BB in front of him if he folds here, seemingly plenty to continue playing. Why on earth would he want to take a flip at best (and huge dog at worst) when he (assuming he has some skill) is almost certain to find a better spot to risk his tourney on? I make this call if I have 10-12BB or less after a fold, but not when I have the kind of breathing room he has here. Making this call is a classic case of overvaluing his hand.

**Edit - I am sure there is some fancy FE analysis someone can come up with. I suck at math.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:27 AM

I think you should fold there, unless you think the reraises thinks you are on a steal. But if you havent done any obvious steals before, TT is an easy fold here.

The reraiser most likely has one of AK (possible AQ), JJ, QQ, KK, or AA. And you are a huge underdog to all hands except AQ/AK, where you are only a slight favourite.

If you compute your EV at this play, I am pretty sure that you will find it negative, unless the reraiser is a lose-agressive player who could have medium pairs as well.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In your case, with a pretty nice stack I'd fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Got to read ALL the words
Old 06-07-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Got to read ALL the words

[/ QUOTE ]

Mea culpa. Work + Morning + Late Night Poker = cross eyed.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:38 AM

An interesting question may be this:

You are in a MTT paying 30 players (top heavy payout). Lets say 50$ buy in. There are 60 players remaining. New player is moved to your table in the BB. You raise 3xBB from button with TT. Large stack pushes from the BB.

How large of a stack do you need to have before you change your decision from fold to call? My gut tells me somewhere around 15xBB to start the hand, but Im not totally sure.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 AM

i'd fold with any more than 3k chips in this situation, unless i thought the guy was likely to have an underpair.
Old 06-07-2005, 11:59 AM

Put him on a range of hands. You're on the button and could be stealing so this could be a re-steal. I'd put him on AK-A8, any pair, any 2 cards T or higher. Add in a possible bluff, suited connectors or so. Ignoring the latter for now we're a 3-2 favorite against that range of hands. The only way I'd fold is if I had a HUGE stack and he covered me or was close. I'm looking at this as a pretty good opportunity to double up. So I think it's a combination of my stack size and his. The closer those two are the more likely I am to narrow the range.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:36 PM

It is close. You are ahead versus AK plus pot odds. The push looks like a semibluff with AK or AQ or maybe a suited connector. With AA or KK, a smaller raise is likely. The problem is you are either slightly ahead or way behind.