Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Changing Mental Gears (Trip 99s)

In a prior post I mentioned that I often have a tough time changing mental gears when an opponent shows unexpected aggression and I put him on a potential hand that could beat me.

When BB capped the flop and came out firing on the turn, I started suspecting 3Ts even though 2 pair was certainly possible also.

I believe I should have raised his turn bet.

Much worse is my action on the river. When he checked I almost certainly should have raised the river, but once my mind went into defensive mode from the unexpected aggression on the flop, I wasn't able to flip that switch off and go back into aggressive mode as new information came in (unless of course I improved, then it's easy).

It seems that the 20 seconds or so that I get to rethink the situation is often not enough time for me. I'm anxious enough to get some bet in without getting timed out that I cost myself bets.

Any suggestions?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

River: (11.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 14.25 BB
Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Changing Mental Gears (Trip 99s)

Well I raise this pf.

You definetly need to raise the turn.

River is not so bad.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:17 PM

I'm capping the turn as well. I think TT raises preflop, and UTG padding the pot makes up for those odd times you're wrong and are up against top set.

You'll make a ton of money against many other hands, such as the two pair you mention or 55.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:22 PM

Why is the river call not so bad if the turn call is so bad?

I think both are bad. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If anything I am more certain I am ahead after the river check than I was on the turn and I could possibly get both players to call the raise.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems that the 20 seconds or so that I get to rethink the situation is often not enough time for me. I'm anxious enough to get some bet in without getting timed out that I cost myself bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why study time away from the tables is so very very important. As you learn to think through these situations in stress-free and infinite time environments, you'll become better at recognizing them under gametime conditions.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Thanks. It's an obvious problem in my game right now.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is the river call not so bad if the turn call is so bad?

I think both are bad. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If anything I am more certain I am ahead after the river check than I was on the turn and I could possibly get both players to call the raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because at the turn you're only behind to AA and TT but on the river you're behind to many more hands; AA, TT, any two clubs, 42.

A raise on the turn protects your hand because there is a flushdraw and also a gutshot-straight draw (wich fell on the river).
Old 06-06-2005, 02:43 PM

Aaron W's advice is sound. We all must put our time in outside of playing.

In addition, try to stay in the moment to make the best of the information during the game. Perhaps, your problem is not changing gears so much as it is on making the more likely read. Seems like you might not have been analyzing the pre-flop action to make the best read. Do you think it is likely that the BB checks his TT? Seems unlikely. Top pair or two pair seems more likely.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:48 PM

The trick is not that you need more time, but that you don't have the ride frame of mind to begin with. You should be in kill-mode when you flop a set of 9s. It's really not a problem if you overshoot sometimes with a hand likes this.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:07 PM

What you are saying makes perfect sense.

Rethinking out all the actions of the players up until that point is sometimes a problem also. It isn't easy within 20 seconds or so to remember all the actions, think about the logical actions of others given their possible hands, and then determine the correct action for myself. I feel stressed to make a decision as soon as I hear that hurry up signal.