Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Toss low set or overcall on 3flush board?

No reads. Good hand?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (6.33 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.66 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (10.66 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 12.66 BB
Old 06-06-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: Toss low set or overcall on 3flush board?

No.

Do not fold. I would have put more bets in.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:15 PM

No way I'm folding here. Good luck.

Card
Old 06-06-2005, 02:19 PM

With no reads, I think youre winning here more than 1 in 12 times. Even if you do end up having the worst hand of three (although i suspect our BB has junk here), you get some valuable info about the button and his flop 3-betting tendencies.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:21 PM

Bad fold. You dont need to be good very often to make a river call profitable. Oh, and i would checkraise or lead the turn. Even if you are behind, and get raised, you have ten outs to improve if against the flush, so it doesnt cost you that much.

peace

john nickle
Old 06-06-2005, 02:23 PM

I call here 100% of the time.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:35 PM

Excellent that you posted here. clearly you should never fold this for one bet on the river. The button's play can be a flush, like A4 or J9 or some such. But given how he played it -- coming right out and three betting the flop, rather than smooth call, it's less likely he has a flush.

This looks more like KQ or AK or even less. Or maybe a bigger set. In any event, I probably cap it up on the flop and lead the turn when it's not a spade. As someone else pointed out, you've got a strong redraw against any hand except an over set.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:43 PM

Check-raise the turn. Bad fold.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:49 PM

When I flop a set I like to get a lot of bets in on the flop (as in cap) and obviously this river fold, especially given your line, is bad.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM

Since the odds of a flopped set improving to a full house by the river are roughly the same as the odds of a flopped four-flush improving to a flush by the river, you can play a flopped set hard on the flop. On the turn, since you have a made hand and have 10 outs if you're behind, you can unlike a flush draw continue to push this hand.

So, cap the flop and lead the turn and if raised then and only then reevaluate. Folding the river is terrible; you're good here too often and if pushed harder, the pot would have been larger and I guarantee you that you are making money playing this hand this way.