Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2003, 01:54 AM

Default Questionable River Bet

I am heads up with 77 in the bb with a local 15-30 pro in a local 15-30 game. Flop is a lovely 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 6 [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] I bet, am raised and 3 bet. Turn is 10 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] I continue betting and am called. River is 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img], putting a 10 high straight on board. Since my opponent raised btf and on the flop and called the 3rd flop bet, I put him on a high pocket pair. AND now, having done this, ...... I bet into him on the river hoping he puts the Babe on JJ and we don't have to split this darn pot. Comments on this play? Results later. Babe
Old 01-01-2003, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Questionable River Bet

I don't like this bet. I don't see how you would ever expect your opponent to fold as he's obligated to call a bet (regardless of what you're holding) given the board and that you're playing heads-up. I don't think you're ever going to win the pot outright here, but you'll lose double to him if he's the one holding pocket Js.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:26 AM

I don't like this bet at all,just suppose he raises, now what do you do?
Old 01-01-2003, 12:53 PM

The bet is just fine. I'd give it a decent chance of getting him to muck due to your table image. You are essentially on a freeroll here so may as well take a stab.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:04 PM

I think the river bet is ok. Making that bet is the only way you'll win the pot. If you check, he will probably bet it and represent the J if he doesn't really have it, and then you'll have to fold.

However, given the flop and your 3 bet, I wonder if the local pro will buy into your bluff. I would not be suprised if he raises into you to see if you really have a J.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:41 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

give him a chance top fold...and call a raise coming back...
i think he also has a high overpair.....
he'll probably call, given the board, but whynot give him the chance....

im not so sure youre representing a J here though....he may put you on a counterfieted str8....or a set....but you have to give him the option of folding...

i do this when there's multiple players and the board may very likely play....ill bet and see who folds....the look on the others faces when they realize, after they folded, that the split is 2-way instead of 3+ is great....

b
Old 01-01-2003, 03:51 PM

I think the chance of a fold is nil--why risk a raise if he has pocket jacks? A clear check-call, IMO.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:58 PM

Unless the other player is absolutely awful, which is pretty hard to believe given his description as a pro, this bet is absolutely awful. God awful. Absolutely brutal. Throwing money out the window. If you 3 bet that 678 flop and bet a running 9T, you're going to have to show any player who is anywhere near decent a jack. That's all there is to it. There is no way in hell that they're folding. I can't believe that so many people think this bet is okay. I think it's unbelievably brutal, and just throwing money away. This is clearly not a "freeroll", as described by one responder, since your opponent could very easily possess a jack. I just can't believe that everybody thinks this is a good bet. Maybe it's okay against a fish who can't read the board, and might just call with a jack. But, against a player who is at all competent, it's -EV.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:04 PM

It's clear babe never bets this board without a higher straight, so a good Las Vegas should know this and realize he is most likely beat. Against most players its an easy call, not against the Babe.
Old 01-01-2003, 04:38 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

you could check/call this....but given her read on this guy, why not use it? if her read is right, and he has a higher pkt pair, a bet here is +EV...why? because if he folds you win...if he calls you split...if he raises and you call and split...IMO, giving him a chance to fold, or split outweighs the possibility that she's beat.

she mentioned that it was unlikely that he had AJ or JJ...

i think too many players are afraid of the only type of holding that can beat here, to where there are many other holdings he may just call or even fold with. you cant always be scared of a running double gutshot str8...and with this player its unlikely. possible, but unlikely.

why read hands if youre not going to use the information? i see many players, and posters who abandon their great reads because of fear of the nuts....note: i said great reads

im sure if this player was a little different type, the babe may have just check called.

the other benefit is if they split, she may get extra action on her river bets with stronger hands later in the session...especially if this guy is in the pot with her on the river...

btw...if youre not planning on calling a raise here, then id check/call...plan ahead....both plays are valid, but i like the bet better...

b