Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2005, 07:16 PM

Default A .05/.10 hand, holding 77 but loads of preflop action

Heya,

I was playing in a .05/.10 game on Stars today when I got pocket pair, 7's. I was feeling good about them and about the table population as a whole, so I thought I'd be able to play them. There was a RIDICULOUS amount of preflop action, however, so it was nerve racking for me to call this. I probably made the WRONG call. I will post the flop/turn/river a little later. Just want some feedback as to the beginning of this hand.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.05.
UTG (poster) checks, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>,

At this point, I'm still willing to spend .15 to see the flop.

<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls,

NOW I'm confused. The bet is up to 20 cents, and we haven't seen anything yet. What I'm thinking is that everyone has some sort of face card, so my hopes go up. Everyone with face cards means low flop.

Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

Correct analysis thus far?
Old 06-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: A .05/.10 hand, holding 77 but loads of preflop action

Hand reading at that low of a level is nearly impossible to do, especially with that many people betting like that PF. I'm thinking that it may actually be profitable to call this because if you hit your set it will be a HUGE payout.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:26 PM

It's hard to put anyone on any sort of strategy at limits this small. I would have folded (in .25/.50)to the 2 cold to me based on my position and the number of cards that give higher pairs (esspescially with that many people in the pot, one of them will hit something)so you can't be aggro after the flop unless you hit one of only 2 outs. Plus calling 2 cold with original raiser still to act is about the same as calling 3 cold.
After calling the three though paying the extra one isn't bad cause you stand to make a lot if you do hit that 7. If you dont hit, I'd drop unless the flop gave me some mew outs like OESD. But odds are not great so I would have dropped to the 2 bet.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:26 PM

I think the odds are going up that someone has a pair of face cards, so even a low flop won't do too much for you.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:31 PM

you're looking for a set here - however, there is a TON of money in that pot, so you're correct to chase. Calling 2 cold is questionable, like people said, but I think since you can be pretty sure everyone behind you will follow, it's good.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is horrible reasoning. The amount of money you are spending to get into the pot is meaningless -- it is about the number of betting units you throw in. The correct play is going to be correct regardless if it is one cent a bet or a million dollars a bet (ignoring that your opponents are usually tougher as you go up in limits, blah blah blah).

With that said, I call this anyway (unless the table is tight enough for everyone calling two back to fold, which I doubt). There are so many people in the hand you almost have immediate odds to go for a set, and the implied odds (given the heavy action) are monstorous, making this an easy call (and easy to play, too -- this is the type of hand you can fit or fold with little loss).

-K
Old 06-05-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is horrible reasoning. The amount of money you are spending to get into the pot is meaningless -- it is about the number of betting units you throw in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. I shouldn't have put it in those terms. Still a beginner, not thinking about the big picture. Thank God I'm still in Micro-Limits.

I guess by .15 I mean 3 SB ... and at that point I was sitting on about 60 BB.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:56 PM

More capping on the flop ...

Flop: (32.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>

I made my set.

BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, BB folds, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, UTG calls, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls.

What would you put everyone on? Only ONE FOLD after capping the raises?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:15 PM

Christ, I've got to get over to that site...

MP3 has pocket rockets and I'd say that there's another 2 more big pairs out there. Any face card on the turn or the flop and I would (albeit with great reluctance) throw the sevens.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any face card on the turn...I would (albeit with great reluctance) throw the sevens.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP!

IGNORE Wozza's advice here! It is incredibly weak-tight and you will cost yourself lots of money by listening to him in this situation!

Folding the flop if you don't hit your set is fine, but if you do f;p[ your set, you can't abandon it on the turn or river, except in extreme cases.

-Jakesta