Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Flop dilemma
Fold 10 27.03%
Call 12 32.43%
Raise 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2005, 10:50 AM

Default moneymaker=overrated

is it just me or does chris moneymaker get more credit than he deserves? whenever i watch the replays of the world series of poker there are plenty of times when he gets outplayed or makes a bad call and gets lucky. I'm not saying that he's a bad player but i don't think he deserves all the attention.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:57 AM

Default Re: moneymaker=overrated

link
Old 06-05-2005, 10:57 AM

Neither does greg reymer or a lot of tournament players who just aren't that good. Look at chris money maker and how much hes won since the 2003 WSOP. Oh wait, very litte. Look at him on the tournament of champions. He just doesnt match up.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:02 AM

agreed
Old 06-05-2005, 12:01 PM

well greg raymer is a very good tournament player, but hes not really world class like alot of people want to give him credit for. i heard someone make the claim that when he was in the tournament of champions, that he was no less than a 9:1 dog. thats absurd.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well greg raymer is a very good tournament player, but hes not really world class like alot of people want to give him credit for.

[/ QUOTE ]
When I used to play at Foxwoods around 2000-2002, he was a regular in the $5/5 pot limit game there (which played very big with super-deep stacks). I would often hear his name mentioned, and everyone considered him to be an excellent player. Even though the Vegas pros may have considered him to be mainly an "unknown" internet player like Moneymaker, Fossilman had built up a reputation in the Foxwoods (maybe also New York) scene as a great (although not sure about "world class") big bet player years before. In college, one of my friends who had played with him was invited to play at an invitational tourney (I think it was a heads up tourney) at Fossilman's house and he says that Fossilman is also a really nice guy.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:01 PM

Agreed about Moneymaker, he got an insane amount of help from the cards in that tournament.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:00 PM

be glad. Moneymaker has done alot for poker. When people watch someguy who might not be the greatest player, win the whole thing, it makes them want to play.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:52 PM

EXACTLY, I'd never played hold'em before (watched everytime it was on TV) MM won it all. I watched him and thought to myself, if he can win the WSOP playing like that, I can surely make some $$ playing so I wandered off to yahoo, party play money, pokerstars real money and finally UB. Few months later found 2+2 and bouswhores.

And frankly, based on what I've seen in the various TV'd events with him, MM hasn't really improved his game that much and is way outclassed in the pro only events. He looks lost half the time.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:58 PM

2003 called they want their thread back