Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 05:55 PM

Default 99 HU

Villain in this hand is 62/5/0.86/40, and is a great example of why PT reads alone aren't sufficient, especially over a few hands.

Despite this guy's low AF over a few hands, I've already seen him take a few very random, very donkish leads with nothing, the first one of which he folded out my best-at-river middle pair with a king-high turn bluff 3-handed. This is the first time I've seen him LRR.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (9.50 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB

I posted this hand because I think it represents my generally awful HU play fairly well, and am interested in feedback. What would everyone do differently?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: 99 HU

can you cap pf? can you raise the turn? after that it looks good except he probably has a pocket pair higher than yours?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:00 PM

If you think you're ahead on the flop, then wait for the turn to raise (my HU skills aren't so great either tho). Otherwise this looks fine.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you think you're ahead on the flop, then wait for the turn to raise (my HU skills aren't so great either tho). Otherwise this looks fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt reasonably sure I was ahead on the flop, but I raised because there's a plethora of cards that are scary for my 9s, and didn't want to let him draw cheap. Opinions?
Old 06-04-2005, 06:15 PM

What would everyone do differently?

Just call down against a bluffer. There is no need to raise anywhere in this hand. Let him do his thing here.

Brad
Old 06-04-2005, 06:19 PM

I just said raise the turn because you get more money from him that way if you're ahead, but like I said, i'm not so confident about SH and HU play.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just said raise the turn because you get more money from him that way if you're ahead, but like I said, i'm not so confident about SH and HU play.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only reason to raise the turn is if you think he won't bet again on the river as a bluff. If he will bluff all 3 streets (and not fold to a turn raise), then calling down has the same EV as raising the turn and checking behind on the river. The problem with raising the turn is that he might 3-bet. If he 3-bets with a better hand and we fold, then we give up on that 5% chance that we have to spike a nine. If he 3-bets with a worse hand, then obviously it sucks for us.

The other thing to consider is if he will fold to a turn raise with a hand like KQ. If he will, then you should raise in a big pot and just call in a small pot.

Brad
Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 PM

I think you played it fine. The other option is to just call him down, but I'm more inclined to try and take the pot ASAP like you tried to do. There's just too many overcards to your pair for me to feel comfortable. This assumes he'll actually fold.

If he'll happily call down with UI crap (and given your read, I suspect he would), I like just calling down.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he folded out my best-at-river middle pair with a king-high turn bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

So maybe you were tilting a little?

You're seeing a showdown here, yes? You're not going to let him bluff you off another pot. But if he has a hand, raising this flop gives him the chance to 3-bet you, or c/r one of the big streets - which you're going to call because it might be a bluff. Could get expensive.

Against this guy, I'd call down from the preflop 3-bet, but I'm weak/tight.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What would everyone do differently?

Just call down against a bluffer. There is no need to raise anywhere in this hand. Let him do his thing here.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though he could have 6 outs against me?

Would you call down from the LRR or cap and call down from the flop?