Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 12:14 PM

Default mid pair v pf raiser

OK guys, I've started out the move up to 3/6 on a bit of a downswing/I suck at 3/6 and I need some help to figure out which it is. I possible leak I see is that I may be pushing too hard with moderate hands.

Villian is 19/13.5/.9
Comments on all streets if you please.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

River: (8.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Final Pot: 10.16 BB
Old 06-04-2005, 12:53 PM

Default Re: mid pair v pf raiser

I fold this preflop, I like the rest.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold this preflop, I like the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same thing here. This hand was not misplayed postflop. However, I think that if someone in the middle had cold-called the two on the flop I would think about check/calling or check/folding on the turn, depending on the odds we were being given to draw.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:52 PM

I don't know why anyone likes your river play. What hands that you beat are calling you? What hands that beat you are folding? The answer to the first question is 99 (only 3 combos) and maybe AQ/AJ. The answer to the second question is none. I much prefer a check/call because you might get a free showdown and you won't get raised on the river, which you should correctly fold to taking your line. I don't mind the preflop call because you're getting 7:1 and you'll have good position to check/raise to protect a mediocre holding. Other than the river I think the hand was well-played.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:52 PM

Howabout your leak caused by not folding preflop?
Old 06-04-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Howabout your leak caused by not folding preflop?

[/ QUOTE ]
What about your leak caused by not calling preflop?
Old 06-04-2005, 05:22 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 05:42 PM

You are getting 7:1 with perfect position to protect a marginal hand if it's checked to the preflop raiser and he bets, which happens a very significant portion of the time. If you flop a strong draw (OESD+pair or overcards) then you can bet into the field hoping to trap them for multiple bets. While your hand is offsuit it is still connected and you are getting a very good price to enter this pot. I think not calling is a mistake if you are confident in your postflop play, and aside from the river I think OP handled this situation very well.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:53 PM

Ok, the one thing I didn't take into account was our position vs the pre-flop raiser. That is nice. But is 7:1 really enough for a hand I wouldn't normally play for 1 bet with 6 limpers in front of me?
Old 06-04-2005, 09:32 PM

I dont think its a mistake to call with this hand with 6 limpers in front of you though + here you have already put 1 sb in the pot.