Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Not Feeling Confident Lately... Did I Misplay This Hand?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

No Reads @ This Table

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, Button folds, BB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls.

River: (13.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, BB folds.

Final Pot: 15.25 BB

<font color="green"> Do you do anything differently? </font>
Old 06-04-2005, 05:02 AM

Default Re: Not Feeling Confident Lately... Did I Misplay This Hand?

I'd usually 3 bet and lead the turn. You can't really count on the guy to bet the turn, and I'd hate to give the flush draw a free card.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:18 AM

3 bet the flop. Retake control of the hand, his raise isn't moving us yet, could mean anything.

After that, bet out, and like they say, it all plays different from there.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd usually 3 bet and lead the turn. You can't really count on the guy to bet the turn, and I'd hate to give the flush draw a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

WE HAVE A WINNER!
Old 06-04-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-04-2005, 09:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you do anything differently?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, 3-bet the flop. This way you know you have a player trapped for one more bet. Actually we don't want to trap players with this hand, we want to protect it. But I still like 3-betting the flop better than calling and betting out on the turn hoping to get raised since I don't think we'll get raised unless we're behind. By playing the way you did you risk the following:
- MP1 takes a free card on the turn with a hand like a flushdraw.
- BB folds the turn and we don't get the chance to trap him if he holds a mediocre hand. (pretty unlikely since he called 2 cold on the flop, but still possible)

If I had a read on BB as a good player (ie only calling 2 cold on the flop with strong draws like a flush draw) I like your line better, since this will make us able to make him put in multiple bets on a street where his equity is much lower. Still we want a MP1 that isn't likely to be playing draws aggressively to make this line good. Most often I don't think it's good, since getting called in 2 spots isn't often what MP1 suspects in this spot and it will probably make a somewhat passive player to check through on the turn with hands like JT.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:47 AM

Definately 3-bet and lead out the turn.

I agree that you will sometimes see the Flop raiser check behind on the turn and giving free cards with your hand is very dangerous.

Given that, I am nervous about the flop raiser calling the turn Check-raise. What hands do you think he has here? Weak top pair? I would seriously consider laying that hand down when UTG checkraises 2 people on the turn. Or is he a typical Party player would just calls and doesn't think?
Old 06-04-2005, 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that, I am nervous about the flop raiser calling the turn Check-raise. What hands do you think he has here? Weak top pair? I would seriously consider laying that hand down when UTG checkraises 2 people on the turn. Or is he a typical Party player would just calls and doesn't think?

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting 11.25:1 (probably even 12.25:1) he could and should call with many hands. What hands are you folding here if you're the flop raiser? The only hand that's scary is JJ (3 combos). The flop raiser should probably call with any pair (not PP).
Old 06-04-2005, 12:37 PM

I didn't realize the odds he was getting on the turn. Yeah I guess he could be calling with alot of hands there.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:07 PM

I 3bet the flop and lead the turn. The river is a clear value bet.