Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 04:56 PM

Default QKs in LP-cold calls?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

I normally fold this preflop in these situations. The raiser was solid. I expected a big multiway pot but there was only 1 limper. Cold calling ok? This is my biggest problem here. I really think it sucks. Fold 100% right or do I get a little discretion?

Flop: (13 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Right?

Turn: (8.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Hmmm...I am not sure what I was thinking. SB checked and looked like he was giving up or check raising. I picked up a gutshot - a raise might knock out a J making my Q outs good. The raise is trying to get people out of the pot and get a free showdown. Bad raise?

River: (12.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Got the free showdown.
Final Pot: 12.50 BB

How does it look on all streets?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: QKs in LP-cold calls?

Preflop-I'm inclined to fold but if you were anticipating a 5 or so way pot it there is no way this could be called 100%.

Flop-I like it.

Turn- Given the board, I think your read that a check from SB means he has given up is good. Before you acted on the turn I'm counting 9.5 BigBets in the pot. I like raising, presenting the other 2 with 2 big bets rather than 10.5-1 on a drawing board, getting it heads up, possibly making a few outs clean, and taking the free showdown given that it will be tough for MP2 to have a hand that will play back at you. You know you are the river calling anyway. All this having been said, I suspect you lost the pot.

River-Obviously, I like it.

Good luck.

Card
Old 06-03-2005, 05:41 PM

Ugh. No way am I mucking KQs just because the raiser is solid. His range there is something like AA-99, AKs-ATs, AK-AJ, KQs-KJs, and KQ right? You have almost 40% equity against that range of hands, you have position, and the pot is likely to be four-handed if one of the blinds comes along.

On the flop I would generally raise. If there were a flush draw or an obvious straight draw I might wait until the turn, but as it stands I'm raising the flop.

Turn raise is questionable but not bad. River check is fine against a solid opponent.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:45 PM

I fold preflop unless reads indicate the raiser is a doofus. Odds are too good your dominated.

Flop, I like this if the intention was to raise the turn on a blank. The turn was blank enough, only really helping QJ.

Turn. Very nice.

River. The river is a total blank. Anyone with real strength probably would have reraised you on the turn. The river is a value bet at this point.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
His range there is something like AA-99, AKs-ATs, AK-AJ, KQs-KJs, and KQ right?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You have almost 40% equity against that range of hands

[/ QUOTE ]
Aren't these arguments for folding preflop?

I don't think position makes up for your deficit in pot equity. Maybe you call if there are already one or two other cold-callers or you see the players in the blinds reaching for chips to call. (A great tell on Party Poker, by the way.)
Old 06-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Preflop: I fold.

Flop: I like the call if your plan is to raise the turn.

Turn: Good.

River: Bet!