Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Default Blind steal

Villian is a fish. Was it ok to try and steal here? Then, should I bet the river?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ???
Old 06-03-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Blind steal

I wouldn't open raise this in CO against habitual blind defenders. But since you did I play it the same and bet the river. He will call with any Q or T.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:43 PM

We already know you bet, btw. It's in red. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Looks good.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:43 PM

AC want to just go over some of my HH's I'll give u a cookie?
Old 06-03-2005, 02:44 PM

I usually don't try and still here at .5/1 but it is fine if you have good control over the table or if the players left are tight.

Bet the river for value.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:00 PM

I am glad that you posted this blind steal question, because I find blind stealing to be quite a tricky part of the game.

Anyway I dont think that Kx(s) is quite strong enough for a blind steal in a micro-stakes games, because the rake % is higher than it is for higher stakes games, and SSH suggests that this makes it unprofitable to try to steal blinds with marginal hands.

But I would be interested to know what hands other posters think are strong enough for blind steals, which they might not play otherwise. For example Ax maybe ?

I think your bet on the flop is correct. BB has not shown any strength and his calling suggests that he either has a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or is on a straight draw of some kind.

The turn card is a blank and your bet again looks correct. BB appears to be calling with the same draw.

I very much doubt that BB has trip 7's. When he checks the river, I am pretty sure that it is a genuine sign of weakness and that he doesnt have anything.

Its very unlikely that he is going to check raise you with a completed flush/straight or trip 7's. So I think you should bet the river for value.

Fish often call down small pots with almost nothing and I expect that is what happened here.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Stealing with Kxs in the CO is a little frisky at a typical table. If it was noticibly tight, then not so bad. If you were on the button, I'd say it was a better idea. Even then, I'd want to be sure the blinds were fairly tight.

Bet the river.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:16 PM

I don't have any problem open raising with K4s in the CO.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't have any problem open raising with K4s in the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Weird as it may sound, I'm more inclined to open with K4s in a full ring game than 6-max game. I'd raise it from the button much more often than the CO though.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:27 PM

It would seem to me that it would be slightly easier to steal blinds in NLHE than LHE, primarily because people in general (should tend to?) play tighter in NLHE. Any thoughts?