Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 02:30 PM

Default playing AK/AQ after missed flop

I would appreciate some input on playing AK/AQ when you miss the flop. Typically I will raise 2-5 x BB pre-flop, although I do check sometimes to mix it up a bit. If I lead out after a missed flop, my continuation bet is typically ½ pot (if I raised PF).

I can usually shake a 1 or 2 callers on flush/str8 draw who doesn’t hit on the turn with another continuation bet (ranging from same as first bet to ½ pot). The problem is shaking the caller who caught a small part of the flop. I find that early in a mtt or sng one can whittle one’s chip stack away with these kinds of hands if you missed the flop.

My questions are :

Am I raising too often?

Should I be checking PF more often?

Are the continuation bet(s) too big (or too small)?

Am I betting the turn too often?

Thanks
Old 06-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Default Re: playing AK/AQ after missed flop

I very rarely limp or check AK. How to play AQ is much more situation dependent, although raising is often better than limping or checking.

Continuation bets on the flop will depend on the flop texture, # of players (and reads on them), my position, stack sizes, etc. I will continue on pretty much any missed flop with AK/AQ if heads up. Generally the more people on the flop and the worse your position, the less you should be willing to continue. If you continue on a miss with a 1/2 pot bet, you should be betting that same amount when you hit too.

You are better off posting some specific AK/AQ hands rather than looking for answers to general questions.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: playing AK/AQ after missed flop

[ QUOTE ]
I would appreciate some input on playing AK/AQ when you miss the flop.

My questions are :

Am I raising too often?

[/ QUOTE ]

AK should always open raise. AQ, it depends on position and if they are suited.

[ QUOTE ]
Should I be checking PF more often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never with AK. If by checking you mean in the BB, AQo is checkable. If you mean limping, then AQo would depend on position, AQs I would always raise an unraised pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Are the continuation bet(s) too big (or too small)?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the flop itself and your position, players behind you, etc. If the board has a straight or flush draw, I like the 2/3 to full pot continuation. Non coordinated boards can take the 1/2 pot bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I betting the turn too often?

[/ QUOTE ]

Giving the same bet on the turn as on the flop will still give the flush/straights the odds to draw on the river usually. 1/2 pot minimum usually works better for me. A lot of it depends on the stacks of the people that are still in the pot as well.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think AK and AQ can get over-valued at times, especially when you miss the flop, or if you hit a flop that has a lot of danger on it (2 flush not of your suit, reasonable set/2 pair possibilites, etc).

TT