Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 07:14 PM

Default AJ in MP with a lot of callers.

I felt really lost on this hand. This table had seen 5+ on the flop a fe times. I wanted to muck this preflop in my position, but instead I call and then wished I had raised. Again, I was just kind of lost because my atention was at a second table I was playing. Any help is appreciated. Even I should have mucked preflop, advice on the other streets is great.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (8 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (19 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+2 caps</font>, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 31 BB
Old 06-02-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: AJ in MP with a lot of callers.

You really should raise this pf. The hand plays differently then.

-Jaran
Old 06-02-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as I hit the call button, I wished I had raised. When I glanced back a the table I thought I was MP3 and two extra callers. Once I realized I had goofed that up, I just kind of fell apart on this hand.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

As soon as I hit the call button, I wished I had raised. When I glanced back a the table I thought I was MP3 and two extra callers. Once I realized I had goofed that up, I just kind of fell apart on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

notice that MP3 cold-calls your flop raise then raises you on the turn.

notice also that UTG+2 check/cold-called MP3's turn raise and caps the river.

even having improved the river, i dump this to the river cap, pot odds be damned; you're just not good here enough w/ your 2 pair.

edit: i said i think one has a set the other has KT, but a set is too narrow; you may have a better 2 pair than one of them, dunno if u beat them both though &amp; i still think not enough to call this river cap.

--oj.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-Jaran

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

notice that MP3 cold-calls your flop raise then raises you on the turn.

notice also that UTG+2 check/cold-called MP3's turn raise and caps the river.

even having improved the river, i dump this to the river cap, pot odds be damned; you're just not good here enough w/ your 2 pair.

edit: i said i think one has a set the other has KT, but a set is too narrow; you may have a better 2 pair than one of them, dunno if u beat them both though &amp; i still think not enough to call this river cap.

--oj.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a good place to get out before the river comes to me capped?
Old 06-02-2005, 08:09 PM

Well as far as the pre-flop goes, I'd rather raise it with your position than muck it, but you're right -- calling sucks. Looks a lot like MP3 has KT, which you could have folded out with a raise.

UTG+2 coming alive isn't as scary as MP3, since if the river gave him two pair, you'll still probably beat him (unless he called with AJ, too [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). MP3 could have been raising the turn with a pair (or even 2 pair), in addition to the straight. The fact that he 3-bet sure makes it look like a straight. If he was raising the turn with a queen or two pair, the river hurts him, but if he was raising it with a straight, your raise will take you out of the hand.

I think the play is to call the river bet. If MP3 raises, but it's only one bet back to you, I would call the raise, closing the action. If it's 2 back to you with a probable cap behind, I would fold.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:30 PM

Muck hand before the flop?!? I think a raise is better. The hand probably would have played out a lot differently.

Given that you didn't....
Flop raise is fine. Calling the raise on the turn really commits you to a showdown, but I think calling the riverwould be best. There are a few straights that can be made on that board. I'm not advocating playing scared, your two pair is a nice hand, but I wouldn't raise the river there.

Travis
Old 06-02-2005, 08:33 PM

When the cold calling SOB known as MP3 wakes up on the turn?

I am subborn and would try to show this down for as cheap as possible, but its food for thought.

Travis
Old 06-03-2005, 12:10 AM

Ummm, don't fold preflop. Start with that and we'll go from there.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:20 AM

Okay, so I raise PF and maybe avoid a lot of this trouble.

Since I didn't, my river raise was probably a bad decision. There I should call a bet and if comes back with a cap or likely cap I fold.