Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 10:39 PM

Default To all you people with Jopke hats:

Don't you realize that you are actually going to be doing a service for Hellmuth by wearing these things at televised events? If ESPN actually decides to give your hats air-time they are naturally going to give Hellmuth extra air time which will only add to his fame.

People outside of the poker community watching this event on television will probably assume that you are all fans of Hellmuth and won't realize that you are actually mocking his stupidity.

Hellmuth has built his fame by abusing his poor attitude, and you guys are only contributing to it. While the idea of wearing these hats is essentially funny, you should at least realize the favor you are doing for Hellmuth if you decide to go ahead and wear these.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Re: To all you people with Jopke hats:

[ QUOTE ]
While the idea of wearing these hats is essentially funny, you should at least realize the favor you are doing for Hellmuth if you decide to go ahead and wear these.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the whole point of JOPKE is to make fun of Hellmuth, not destroy his career. Who cares if he benefits from it?
Old 06-01-2005, 11:03 PM

Come on dude. Are you going to have me believe that there are people actually lame enough to really where something like that?

Whatever I'm not falling for it.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:45 PM

I like Hellmuth, he's good for the game, seriously..... [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 06-02-2005, 12:13 AM

I could care less if it helps him. The hat and phrase are hilarious. I love it.

I love Hellmuth. Sure, he's a total baby. But he's fun as hell to watch. The vast majority of posters on this board will be more interested to tune in to a WPT episode with him at the final table--even if they hate him.

Besides, there's a little Hellmuth in all of us. You know you hate the donkey who calls your reraise with JT when you have JJ, only to subsequently flop a T on the flop and one on the turn.

What a jopke!
Old 06-02-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't you realize that you are actually going to be doing a service for Hellmuth by wearing these things at televised events? If ESPN actually decides to give your hats air-time they are naturally going to give Hellmuth extra air time which will only add to his fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I call a win-win. It establishes both snide humour and Phil's essential hypocrisy: although he can and likely will claim to the world that we mock him because he's a star, we know we mock him because he's a self-important boob. In his heart of hearts, Phil knows better. If he does not, he's even more of a boob than we thought, and thus even more deserving of our mockery.

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth has built his fame by abusing his poor attitude, and you guys are only contributing to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where have you been since about 1987, sir? Phil has built his fame by WINNING NINE BRACELETS.

[ QUOTE ]
While the idea of wearing these hats is essentially funny

[/ QUOTE ]

I for one will laugh every moment I realize I'm wearing one.

A dedicated jopker,

-Howard Treesong
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I for one will laugh every moment I realize I'm wearing one.

A dedicated jopker,

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen! The first honest words from you in the past three months. It's about time!

Vince
Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 AM

The point of wearing a jopke hat is BECAUSE IT'S FUN. It's irrelevant what people think of it.

-a guy who will be wearing JOPKE in the WSOP
Old 06-02-2005, 08:08 AM

Wow.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lighten up--it's all in good fun.

[ QUOTE ]
People outside of the poker community watching this event on television will probably assume that you are all fans of Hellmuth and won't realize that you are actually mocking his stupidity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nobody is "mocking his stupidity." Lighten up--it's all in good fun.

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth has built his fame by abusing his poor attitude, and you guys are only contributing to it. While the idea of wearing these hats is essentially funny, you should at least realize the favor you are doing for Hellmuth if you decide to go ahead and wear these.

[/ QUOTE ]

We're not talking about Truman's decision to drop the bomb or a woman's right to choose.

I imagine Phillips would tell you the same thing. It's just a little barb. What makes the thing what it is is the "inside-ness" of it, the actual mechanics of it (the chat box WAS actually funny), and the idea that a bunch of people would take part in something so ostensibly inane. It's funny.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:53 AM

Hellmuth is awesome.