Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 03:43 PM

Default An actual good floor call at Foxwoods

Just so I don't come off as all negative about Foxwoods poker room management (a phrase that I otherwise characterise as a contradiction in terms):

I was watching a particularly juicy game that I was trying to get into the other night. On one hand, one cranky old lady (COL) invoked the IWTSTH rule on a middle aged woman (MAW) at the end of one hand. The dealer didn't flinch in showing the COL the other woman's hand.

Only problem was that MAW hadn't called the river bet. She mucked at the first bet. At this point, about half the table goes into a frenzy, badgering the crap out of the dealer over her error. Well, the dealer did make a mistake.

The game continued, but someone called the floor. The floor came over, listened to the description of the event, and verified that the dealer was indeed in error in showing the hand.

No surprise there.

Then, he went on to explain that the purpose of the IWTSTH rule was to reveal collusion or other forms of cheating, and not just to see what hands someone wants to play. He added that anyone at the table was perfectly welcome to invoke the rule, but when they did, they would have to explain to him who they suspected of cheating and how/why.

I was stunned. I've never seen such a flagrant display of competence on the part of Foxwoods management in the short time I've been playing there.

Of course, after he left, COL started going on about how the floor guy had vindicated her call, so nothing was really achieved, but it was refreshing to see it handled that way, anyway.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: An actual good floor call at Foxwoods

An excellent call by the floor. I think every time someone invokes the stupid IWTSTH rule this should be the response...

"please explain why you think that person is cheating and then I'll show you the hand."

Perhaps that will curb the vast amount of abuse the IWTSTH rule causes.

al
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
An excellent call by the floor. I think every time someone invokes the stupid IWTSTH rule this should be the response...

"please explain why you think that person is cheating and then I'll show you the hand."

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, how I wish they would! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I hate the rule, the way it's abused.

-Mike
Old 06-01-2005, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, how I wish they would! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I hate the rule, the way it's abused.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I had this happen to me in a 8/16 game at the bellogio. Game got really bad. I went off on the idiot who wanted to see my hand. He came out and said i want to see how you play. I let him have it. An old man goes i do that too when Iwant to see how some one plays.

I would love to see them start doing this. would make the games much better.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Only problem was that MAW hadn't called the river bet. She mucked at the first bet. At this point, about half the table goes into a frenzy, badgering the crap out of the dealer over her error. Well, the dealer did make a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not universally true. Some cardrooms allow any seated player to invoke the IWTSTH privilege. See here
Old 06-01-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then, he went on to explain that the purpose of the IWTSTH rule was to reveal collusion or other forms of cheating, and not just to see what hands someone wants to play. He added that anyone at the table was perfectly welcome to invoke the rule, but when they did, they would have to explain to him who they suspected of cheating and how/why.

[/ QUOTE ]

this makes me happy.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not universally true. Some cardrooms allow any seated player to invoke the IWTSTH privilege. See here

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone can ask to see the losing hand at showdown, however here MAW didn't call the last bet and mucked her cards.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:00 PM

Well, as soon as these two bungholes admit that they are asking because "they want to see how you play," as far as I am concerned their right to ever ask again is GONE.

All over the country people seem to think that "seeing how they play" or "getting free information" is a legitimate reason to ask to see someone's hand. It's only by being forceful in these situations we can overcome the widespread misconceptions about IWTSTH, because the rule (unfortunately) ain't going away.

And of course TV just makes it worse by showing the worst of poker (hellmouth's antics) and leaving out the important stuff (proper ettiquette and behavior). Just thought I'd add that.

al
Old 06-01-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, as soon as these two bungholes admit that they are asking because "they want to see how you play," as far as I am concerned their right to ever ask again is GONE.

All over the country people seem to think that "seeing how they play" or "getting free information" is a legitimate reason to ask to see someone's hand. It's only by being forceful in these situations we can overcome the widespread misconceptions about IWTSTH, because the rule (unfortunately) ain't going away.

And of course TV just makes it worse by showing the worst of poker (hellmouth's antics) and leaving out the important stuff (proper ettiquette and behavior). Just thought I'd add that.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

And the pentalty for asking to see the cards just to see how someone plays is......................................?

U guessed it a swift kick in DA NUTS