Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Some Questions

I play stud here and there. I am definitly not a great player but I have read and absorbed 7 stud for advanced players. As I sat down at a party .5/1(or 1/2, can't remember) game I remember seeing a hand that I can't really get out of my head. On 5th street(when I sat it) the hands were as follows.

Player A-XX 8228
Player B-XX 7648
Player C-XX 9863

I'll be honest I do not remember suits, but I don't think anyone had a 3 flush showing. Anyway Player A bets and both players fold. Now this seems like a relatively strange fold. First player A obviously has at least 2 pair, and maybe a boat. But he couldn't of had 8s full since B and C also have an 8.

Now it appears that players b and c could have been drawing to straights. Ignoring any flush possibilies(since I don't remember exact suits and we don't know downcards, what odds/conditions would it be correct to chase to a straight.

Now if the hand was played out a little different or we knew the other opponents downcards I think I could figuire out a play, but my limited experience is coming into play. Player A's cards were XX 8228. It seems relatively unlikely that he could have a full house now. Normally him pairing his door card would scare me off, but both 8s are dead and he could easily just have 2 pair.

So what is your play on 5th street. Folding seems to weak, but I suppose it also depends on the quality of the draw.

Any thoughts on this would be great.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Some Questions

I think it largely depends on some of the action that happened before you sat down. If he was betting and raising when he hit the 2 on 5th street, it is possible he had a boat. Maybe the other two had a read on him and knew he wouldn't bet unless he had the straights and flushes beat. It is also possible that neither had a good draw, and were unlikely to beat the two pair.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:02 PM

most people don't like drawing to the second best hand, especially a draw as weak as a gut shot straight draw.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:33 PM

isn't the ante in those party games kind of insane? I think you're assuming that the other players don't have total junk, but the ante at party can essentially force you to play hands well outside of good stud starters (plus the players are usually kind of bad). Moral of the story, low limit party games are strange.