Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Driving into Vegas(from Reno).

Anybody ever make the drive from Reno to Vegas?

Any tips? Thanks much.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Driving into Vegas(from Reno).

I know people who have. It's about 7 hours during the summer time, bring water for your car if you dont have a great radiator or newer car. It's a hella boring ride all the way down Rt 95.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Weird and spooky drive.

I have driven from Reno to LV a few times, each time via Rte. 95 and boy it seemed spooky to me.

Miles and miles of desert.

Driving through small towns with no stop lights, no signs of life and then some dog comes out of nowhere to cross the street, spooky.

Then there was this desolate military base that I imagined would be something that Area 51 would look like, spooky again.

Make sure you have gas, you could drive 100 to 200 miles I believe without seeing a gas station.

One time, I saw a sign that read something like 70 miles to the next gas station and I had 3/4 of a tank. So I drove to that town, but the gas station was closed, shiiite, the next gas station after that was like 100 miles. As soon as I got to that gas station, the empty tank light came on, that could have been a serious bad beat.

Another thing, you probably won't get a cell phone signal, so if are stuck on the road, you are basically screwed.

Also no radio signal, so unless you have satellite radio, bring a ton of CD's or MP3's.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:41 PM

I really liked doing it.

Keep your eyes out for brothels.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Weird and spooky drive.

[ QUOTE ]
Then there was this desolate military base that I imagined would be something that Area 51 would look like, spooky again.

[/ QUOTE ]

Area 51 is in fact part of that desolate military base.
Old 06-01-2005, 04:05 PM

444 miles, no problem. Leave Reno on I-80 East and go about a half-hour to Fernley and take the US 95 Alt. there toward LV (I think it says Fernley/Yerington/Las Vegas). It becomes US 50 until Fallon, then turn R on S. Taylor St. (Walgreens) and it becomes US 95 - less than 400 more miles to Vegas. Enjoy.

Don't stop at the Bunny Ranch [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. If you are worried about gas, fill up in Beatty, which is about 125 miles from Vegas. After you pass Amargossa Valley, you will soon get to a military base - don't speed through there [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Weird and spooky drive.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Area 51 is in fact part of that desolate military base.

[/ QUOTE ]

The military base in Hawthorne is not part of Area 51. It's an ammunition depot, and it's about 300 miles from Area 51.

To get to Area 51, you have to take I-15 (towards Salt Lake City), then turn off on US-93, then NV-375 ("The Extraterrestrial Highway") to Rachel, NV. To actually see Area 51, you need a 4-wheel drive vehicle and have to be in very good shape to hike up to the summit of Tikaboo Mtn.