Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Do sunglasses/Ipod automatically make someone a douche? (Psych x-post)

Hey fellas,

I'm going to Vegas for a week and a half. First weekend is going to be hanging out with friends. Second week is going to be a bunch of 15-30 to 40/80, largely by myself.

Well, being a primarily online player has made me borderline ADD. I can't pull the long sessions I used to be able to when I played more live. Also, I'm somewhat light-sensitive.

So, if I bust out my Ipod, which I think I'll be using partly to avoid conversation from mid-day locals, and occassionally wear shades... well, I guess the answer's kind of rhetorical: of course I'll look like a douche. Which begs the more important question: should I care?

If I'm comfortable I can play longer, better, and have a more enjoyable time. I can easily pay attention to/hear what's occurring at the table, and I can remove both items whenever I choose to. Hell, I might even benefit from a wanna be WPT image.

Thoughts?

Dan
Old 05-31-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Do sunglasses/Ipod automatically make someone a douche? (Psych x-p

Wear a goalie mask and drink chocolate milk through a small straw. Now that's an image.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wear a goalie mask and drink chocolate milk through a small straw. Now that's an image.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, good sh!t.

Somewhat funny story (tho I guess not that funny, if the kid's disturbed): Kid (20'ish) at at ice rink I work at gets shitcanned for being a weirdo, not doing his job, etc. Apparently, when it was the day for him to pick up his last check, he showed up at 4 a.m. wearing a Mardis Gras mask and talking to himself. I kid not.

BTW, I think with your idea I can take a SH 40/80 for $2500/hr, it's so damn brilliant.

Dan
Old 05-31-2005, 11:21 PM

Default Re: Do sunglasses/Ipod automatically make someone a douche? (Psych x-post)

I usually have my MP3 player with me. I look for any reason at all not to use it, and usually don't, but some tables are just too damn boring not too. As for sunglasses, it's the pitch black wrap-arounds that really make you look like a douche. Just go with a nice tinted pair that will help with the glare, as opposed to the kind that look they were designed for outfielders.

Just my $.02
Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 PM

Unless they are particularly ridiculous sunglasses I don't think any more or less of people that wear them. I also have no problem with people listening to music as long as they stay with the action. And last, but most importantly, no, you shouldn't care what anyone thinks.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Do sunglasses/Ipod automatically make someone a douche? (Psych x-post)

[ QUOTE ]
Which begs the more important question: should I care?

[/ QUOTE ]

we don't so you shouldnt. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-31-2005, 11:54 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

why are you asking permission for anything?

i brought an ipod to playstation the other day, first time ever doing something like that, never wore sunglasses, i immediately shun sunglass wearers in an indoor establishment regardless what is taking place(although dont discount ability)....my cents
Old 06-01-2005, 12:07 AM

IMHO, ipods aren't even in the same category as sunglasses, but then again, I constantly listen to my ipod when I play. The difference is, the ipod has a function: if the table isn't talking or people I don't care for, I listen to the ipod. I have NEVER missed any action because of it, that's a damn fact. Always low, usually with only one ear bud in.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:10 AM

I dont take notice of the ipod or the shades. It's when they open their mouth that i know theyre a douchebag.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:14 AM

IMO IPods are fine at all limits, as (a) play can be boring and (b) many players are blithering idiots.

Sunglasses are for jackasses, and it's not close. That said, IMO it is OK to wear them at limits of 15/30 and up, as at that point the money becomes quite significant.