Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:23 PM

Default Ugly AK hand

CO is a total clown but isn't really really relevant; BB is a total unknown.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, CO calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls, CO folds.

Turn: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (5.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB
Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 PM

Default Re: Ugly AK hand

Usually I would bet/call turn.

Since he coldcalled 2 flopbets he has to have something. Still, I think a turn bet is positive since he might have PP below K or a worse king, plus u don't want to give him a free draw for another heart.

Given the river action it smells like a slowplayed 6.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:25 PM

The cold call of two bets is pretty scary if you ask me. In my opinion he was either hit his flush or trips. After checking the turn you mine as well check call river.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 AM

He checked to me on the river, I'm on the button.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:12 AM

Sorry, what I was saying then was that I would just take the free showdown....if you have him beat, majority of the time he will just fold.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 AM

Default BUMP

Is it a good idea to check the turn here?

I think by his flop check-call 2 cold his hand can be narrowed down to: a weaker king, pocket pair, 6x, flush draw. If I bet the turn and get check-raised, against an unknown, I'm showing this down for 3 BBs. So assuming I don't hit a 2 outer, checking the turn saves me 2 BBs if he has a flush or 6. But if he has a hand with a heart, I'm giving him a card for free, and I'm also losing value from weaker kings or pairs without hearts that are going to call down. But I may gain a BB on a river bluff this way, or a PP that was going to fold to a turn bet but decides to look me up after a river blank. But I'm also giving a potential pot costing free card to hands that would've folded...

So does that mean I should check or bet? [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 04:41 AM

BB cold calls two bets on this relatively ragged flop. I suppose a paired K could do this, but more often than not I'm guessing you're up against two hearts or a 6. When the Qh hits the turn, there's really not a lot you're beating except for lower K, which makes me think a check down is fine here. You're giving up a single heart draw, but there's very few hands an unknown will cold call 2 on the flop with just one heart. When he checks the turn, I probably get sucked in too and bet/call. Against an unknown I probably call this down as well, if for anything to get a future read on this guy.

I'm thinking some more about the turn check... if I feel like I could fold to a c/r, then I'll bet this turn to charge the occasional single heart or lower K. At the time though, I can't imagine folding this HU, so in which case I like your line better.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:04 AM

its not an ugly AK hand when you hit the flop

i bet this turn nearly all the time and i call down when raised nearly all the time - i bet the turn because weaker kings must pay as well as random hearts

calling 2 cold on the flop is a tad scary but sometimes this guy has a joke hand and other times he thinks K10o is a monster and is cunningly waiting for the turn to pounce

stripsqueez - chickenhawk
Old 06-01-2005, 05:12 AM

no no, I meant my line is ugly. Should've been "Ugligly played AK" or something...
Old 06-01-2005, 05:27 AM

Why did you raise the flop?