Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM

Default Defending BI against likely steal.. U think you\'re better than me?

Villain in this hand seemed to raise with a lot of face cards, and this seemed like a very likely steal.. What do you think of my line here? Roland asked me to post a hand, so I thought this could get some discussion going.

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___completes
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (6.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks

River - (6.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (6.35 BB)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Defending BI against likely steal.. U think you\'re better than me?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of my line here?

[/ QUOTE ]
balsy comes to mind.

Given you think he's going for a blind steal, why not reraise on 4th or 3rd when it's a little cheaper? Personally I'd have folded 5th, even if he doesn't have you beat he doesn't have to hit much to beat a pair of 3s by the river. That your raise shut him down makes me think you might have won the hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:15 PM

even if he is stealing, I can't see you beating anything on fourth. That's when I'll jump ship and pick a better spot.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:27 PM

Too bad your threes did not improve - try to do better next time.

I think the timing of the raise is suspect - what is there for villain to fear with you catching the two of clubs? Are you trying to convince him you have pocket two's? If so, it is a bit of a tough sell with villain catching one on fourth. Your board shows nothing else even remotely scary, so the probability of forcing a fold seems low.

If you had re-raised him on third, you may have induced a fold right away if this really is a steal. Without that, your raise on fifth feels a tad lame to be taken seriously.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:29 PM

I think if you want to defend I would reraise right away on third instead of waiting until fifth
Old 05-31-2005, 08:31 PM

I fold on 3rd (but I play like a vagina).
Old 05-31-2005, 08:37 PM

it seems like I am in this positon a lot also, I can sense the steal but am afrraid to get drawn out on.....with a pair of threes is it almost a coin flip?
Old 05-31-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

balsy comes to mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

TY, TY. Roland's gonna be pissed you said that.

I'll give my thoughts on 3rd, fourth, and 5th..

3rd: My hand isn't completely live, but I'm fairly sure I'm ahead here. I didn't want to reraise because I don't think this player is capable of folding at this point. (Most players aren't.)

4th: Pretty much the same as fourth.. Gonna go ahead and pop it as long as he doesn't pair or sumpin' else.

5th : I pop it, he calls [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I figured by popping it here, even if he does have aces, he could be afraid of smaller 2 pair, and give me a free card on 6th

6th and 7th: I'm behind, and he's not folding, take the free card and free showdown.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:43 PM

I think a lot of players will fold to the limp reraise on 3rd unless they have the goods. I raise third and bet/raise 4th and if he is still around after that I am done with the hand unless I catch good. Your resteal gives villan less chances to catch good this way and looks like you have a burried big pair.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:45 PM

If you are gonna go crazy bet 6th