Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Strongest sections of Middle Limit Holdem?

The title speaks for itself. This might be too vague, but basically I would like to hear opinions on what the best parts of MLH are. Most people agree that it is too weak in many parts for todays agressive games, especially online. What does it cover well that other books do not?
Old 05-31-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Strongest sections of Middle Limit Holdem?

Hi Moyer,

I am a big fan of this book and have read it several times, although it's been a while. I have always been fond of the "Avoiding Trouble" section, which definitely helped me stop bleeding chips senselessly in the early stages of my so-called poker career. This is still a great book to help with hand reading, even though today's games are much more aggressive and illogical.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:07 PM

The bluffing section is damn good. There were others too that I really liked (and some that I really didn't like at all) but I forget those now. But the bluffing section sticks out in my memory as being outstanding.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:24 PM

The parts where he analyzes the situation you are in and the flop texture is excellent in virtually all the sections.

The parts where he gives advice on what to do after presenting that analysis is average.

-Greg
Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 PM

It's easier I think to point out the weaker points in the book (less typing). I don't like the way they describe the action in the samples- it's a little harder to follow since they jump around in limits and count $ and not bets. The action is abbreviated so you really have to slow down when reading it to make sure you know where everybodies at, and what their actions were. This may just be me though.

I thought the section on draws was a bit too weak. They seem to take a 'keep the customers' type line with strong draws, not considering your equity and pumping draws in a multiway pot.

I'm not quite finished with it yet, but the rest so far has been very good. I thought the section on overcards was very detailed and quite good (when considered in conjunction with the overcards section in SSH).
Old 06-01-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But the bluffing section sticks out in my memory as being outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you liked that, you will love the bluffing section in Improve Your Poker, if you haven't read it already. Perhaps the best discussion of bluffing that exists.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people agree that it is too weak in many parts for todays agressive games, especially online.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The book is written for mid-limit games that are populated with tough, tight-aggressive players.

The main theme that runs throughout the book seems to be finding reasons to fold. If you subscribe to this strategy in most online games, you'll be a break-even player at best.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Most people agree that it is too weak in many parts for todays agressive games, especially online.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you take heed of Mason's comments here , I think it is excellent material. It certainly makes you think, and there are few poker books that do that once you have read TOP, HEPFAP etc. I really think it is a "must-read".