Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 10:01 AM

Default 65s wins a big pot

playing 5/5 live game, 6 handed
hero has 1000 in chips, villian has 500, pfr has 500
villian loves to slowplay big hands and check raise with them on later streets

utg raises to 15, villian calls in sb, hero calls in bb with 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

flop is J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

villian checks, hero check, pfr bets 25, villian calls, hero calls
yes, i know this is loose, but im thinking the turn could bring a 5,6,7 or spade, all of which turn my hand into a viable one. the price was good and i felt i had large implied odds.

turn is 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
my dream card, i have an oesfd

all of a sudden, villian bets pot 100, i debate options here and call, pfr folds

river 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
it's the weakest of my outs and im not really happy to see it, but villian checks, at which point confirming my read of a set, i bet 125, villain calls.

thoughts?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:02 AM

Default Re: 65s wins a big pot

im posting basically because villian spent the next 10 minutes berating me for the hand and telling me how terribly i played it. i think he's wrong, do you agree?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:15 AM

You did play it bad - you should have folded the flop and turn since you were getting no where near the correct odds to call. You have no idea if your outs are clean and could very easily hit your hand and still lose - like if villan was on a flush draw or your straight card paired the board. I think that you are being a little results oriented in analyzing your own play since it worked out. What would you have done if villan check raised you all in on the river?
Old 05-31-2005, 10:17 AM

folded.
and i dont understand how you can advise me to fold this preflop.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:29 AM

i think you misplayed this a few times.

pre flop is OK at best.

flop is a clear fold but being that your insistant on playing this hand you find your dream card on the turn and your just call...i really do not like this play. You must raise here attempting to take it down. When you call this bet yout still have no idea where you stand in this hand. The river is fine...if your read is accurate.

Being that you read him for a set...how your not folding this flop is beyond me!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 10:31 AM

ok, if my opponent is on a pair plus flush draw bet on the turn, an unlikely holding considering him and the way he played his hand, i have 6 outs for the straight, 2 outs for the straight flush and 5 outs for two pair/trips. that gives me 13. getting 2-1 on 13 outs when i stack him with my straight flush and probably get some money off a bluff bet on my other outs, the math works out.
against a set i have 14? outs, again same line of reasoning
the only thing im really crushed by is a straight and as ive mentioned, villian likes to check-raise his big hands, so i thought it was unlikely. it seemed a protection bet.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:33 AM

how can i read his flop check/call for a set? i read his turn bet for a set.
why would i raise on the turn? i know he's calling me and i know im not winning. i already have him on a narrow hand range. i dont need to define my hand.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

and i dont understand how you can advise me to fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't reread my post. That is marginal depending on your post flop skills vs your opponents. Suited connectors are very hard to play out of position in big pots.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:30 AM

bump

lets get some respected posters advising how to play this 65s oop.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:20 PM

I don't claim to be a respected poster. But I have a few things to say...

To those people saying this is a bad or marginal preflop call. WTF. The guy UTG raised to 15 in a 5/5 game. He is asking to get broke. If you play well postflop you shouldn't even have to think about this call, just throw in two damn red chips. He is getting 3.5/1 immediate and this is 1% of his stack. Rant over.

Flop: I fold.

Edit: If you put PFR on missed overs, then the flop is a fine call. Also I would probably move in and hope Villain couldn't lay down JJ on the river. I paid enough to draw might as well try to get paid.