Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 05:16 AM

Default AQ - I hate everything about this

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

MP3 (t1470)
CO (t1410)
Button (t1550)
SB (t1510)
BB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1480)
MP1 (t1570)
MP2 (t3010)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t80</font>, UTG+1 calls t80, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>.

Flop: (t190) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t190</font>, UTG+1 calls t190.

Turn: (t570) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t350</font>, Hero calls t350.

River: (t1270) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: t1270
Old 05-31-2005, 05:44 AM

Default Re: AQ - I hate everything about this

I don't think you played it all that bad. At Stars I play AQ UTG like this as well. Villian's t350 turn bet initially just looked like a reaction to your turn check which he may have seen as you giving up a failed continuation bet on the flop. I'm happy with the check-check on the river If I'm you and expect to win the hand often.
Old 05-31-2005, 06:43 AM

Limp with this UTG I would say. Check call the flop; better than bet and get raised. Check raise the turn. Check the river if called.

This way about the same amount of money goes in the pot, but you get to see the flop out of position for cheaper and make the biggest bet rather than your opponent, giving him a chance to fold or make a bigger mistake if on a draw.

Early stages, keep the pots small.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:03 AM

It's really not that bad. I would have bet the turn and if I didn't bet the turn I would have C/R'd. &lt;- BTW I think we argued about a continuation bet once. If you make a lot of them you should really be C/Ring some turns with the goods to avoid being bluff called on the flop. (not that this matters at the low levels, just something to think about as you move up)

So anyway, I don't mind the turn check because Villain is unlikely to have the FD given the ace is on board, and since you raised PF he knows you don't have the draw, so he *could* slowplay a big hand on the flop. (although this would be stupid as the third spade will kill his action) On the other hand, I tend to think worrying about pot control at the lower levels is a complete waste of time and would normally bet this turn.

And on the top of pot control against fish:
A-rag-rag flop when I raise AK PF and get flat called on the flop. Against a thinking player who doesn't call with a wide range of aces PF and call a flop bet with a hand that is likely dominated I slow way down, because his call flop hand range contains a larger % of hands that have me smashed. (i.e.: a good player will have AK, a set, or a large underpair that doesn't buy my flop bet) Here, checking can clearly be correct. However, in your case, Villain's call flop hand range includes any ace, quite a few kings, any two spades, etc, etc. The chances that you're beat on the flop really aren't that good, so you lose a ton of value by not betting the turn.

All about adjusting to good and donkish opposition.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:18 AM

Thanks.

When I play AQ or AJ, I almost hope that the kicker hits instead of the Ace since unless I'm battling QQ or KK I feel I have the best hand and maybe even outdrew a better Ace.

The smooth-call scared me because I thought it could have meant slick. That's why I checked the turn; I wanted to be cautious.

When he came with only a 3/4-size bet, I decided that he didn't have it because I felt villain would either push two pairs harder there or check it continuing a (somewhat ill-advised) slow-play.

I figured I was against a weaker Ace at that point but I wanted to make sure he didn't luck into two pairs with one of the undercards which is why I checked the river. I didn't think he was on a flush draw (he would have taken the free card on the turn most likely), so that didn't scare me as much as him turning over A6. THAT scared me.

As for the result: <font color="white"> Villain had A9, no spades. I took down the pot and then we discussed how we were each scared the other had AK. Plays like this is why I do play AQ and AJ and once in a while even AT OOP. If I thought after the turn that he had a better ace, I wouldn't have called that bet and only lost a little bit compared to the big UB stacks.

I have lost a few pots playing these cards but many of them were weaker Aces spiking two pairs. Overall I have won more playing AJ and AQ than I have lost because of the donk factor at the games I play. I hope when I play against more skilled opponents that I adjust.</font>
Old 05-31-2005, 10:44 AM

Fair play.

I have no problem with folding AQ UTG very early in a SNG. All of mine are on Party with the 1000 chip structure. I do not think that folding it there affects my ROI at all.

Regarding your play, I probably try to control the pot size a little better, but this is bordering on trivial. I bet the flop 3/4 or about 140.

Cold calls on the flop always send off bells and whistles in my head..is he a donk with any Ace or maybe just a King..does he have a set or 2 pair or a flush draw, or is he another donk overplaying his TT.

There is an A and a K on the flop and you raised preflop UTG he has to think the flop hit you. When he cold calls the flop that is either very strong or very donk but no way to know yet.

If I played the hand I prob check the turn too, but boy does his turn bet scream 2 pair or a set.

by your description of the level this is probably a fair line, but more often than not at the games I play AQ is not ahead.

MrX
Old 05-31-2005, 10:50 AM

With AQ UTG levels 1-3 I limp and fold to a lot of aggression.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With AQ UTG levels 1-3 I limp and fold to a lot of aggression.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes I do that too. By level 3 I am usually raising it as we are usually at least down to 8 people.

MrX
Old 05-31-2005, 11:04 AM

I don't raise AQo UTG, thats just me.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:07 AM

I fold AQo UTG, and I am not a tight player.