Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2005, 09:05 AM

Default Peak Oil Article on foxnews.com

Okay, I found this article incredibly scary. I know this has been discussed on here before but I didnt really follow it. However, when foxnews talks about it then it must be true [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Even if peak oil is in 20 years I highly doubt our politician's ability to manage the situation as they are only interested in their short term survival. It would seem to me that Bush and Co AND the democrats would need to scream their heads off about this now to make the radical changes neccessary. Of course we know they arent doing that.

fox peak oil article
Old 05-30-2005, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Peak Oil Article on foxnews.com

Basically what I've been saying for over a year now... And it seems MSM in the US is picking up a bit, it's been quite a lot of articles lately, MSNBC, YAHOO, cleveland.com and others, it's slowly coming out in the open.

Deffeys is interviewed here, it's an interesing interview, listen to it while playing or something.

I won't go on, I've already done it so many times and those who are interested will do their own reaserch, others, well, good luck. We will need it.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:50 PM

Default Motherf*ckers

Here's a wild speculation on my part, as wild as a wildcatter's bravest hole:

At some point in the future, the near future or after a significant number of years from now, when everyone now alive will be dead, I would think that the Earth would react to the extreme and rapid rape that it has withstood on account of petroleum.

We have taken out a huge, colossal amount of earthly mass and replaced it with something of nearly equivalent mass and specific gravity (roughly that's how crude is excavated) but the earth's underground has been seriously messed with.

Not only have we burned in two hundred years what took millions of years to be made (petroleum is essentially very ancient fossils) but we did it in record time too! The Earth changes very, very slowly but we went and changed its underground specs, its very balance perhaps, at the blink of an eye.

You might say we gave her the equivalent of a sharp, swift karate kick to the groin.

...But maybe our Mother Earth is stronger than everything we can throw at it. Yeah, why not.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Some observers of the oil industry think so. They predict that this year, maybe next — almost certainly by the end of the decade — the world's oil production, having grown exuberantly for more than a century, will peak and begin to decline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, that article came just in the nick of time. *sarcasm*
Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if peak oil is in 20 years I highly doubt our politician's ability to manage the situation as they are only interested in their short term survival.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not up to politicians. Waiting for the govt to make everything all better is not a winning strategy. The solutions will come but if anything politicans are *hampering* the progress by favoring the oil and gas industry.

natedogg
Old 05-31-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Exxon disagrees

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050530/energ...bles.html?.v=1

Remember that this company is in the business of making profit for shareholders, nothing more.

They confidently predict that in 2030, oil and gas will be 60% of the world's energy picture. They are staying out of wind and solar because they only think it will represent 1% of energy use in 2030.

2030 is a long way off. It's hard to predict where energy tech will be at that point. Even now, you can find several new headlines *every day* that describe new and interesting innovations in energy tech, from improved batteries, to solar towers in Australia, to wave power generation plants in Spain, to gas-to-liquid superclean fuels, to bacterially promoted natural gas from near-empty oil reservoirs, to all the myriad *daily* advances in hydrogen production and fuel cell tech, to truly innovative new technologies like tethered turbines and the OTEC project linked by Wacki.

There's a lot going on that the fearmongers want you to ignore. If Fox news is promoting peak oil crisis you can be sure it's an exaggeration.

Remember, the oil companies aren't panicking. It would be wise to *also* consider the opinions of those who are in the business of making money from energy in addition to those who are in the business of making money spreading fears about energy.

natedogg
Old 05-31-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Exxon disagrees

[ QUOTE ]

They confidently predict that in 2030, oil and gas will be 60% of the world's energy picture. They are staying out of wind and solar because they only think it will represent 1% of energy use in 2030.

[/ QUOTE ]
The problem with this quote, of course, is that it does not say anything about how large that demand is.

Here's from another Exxon article:
[ QUOTE ]
Without any press conferences, grand announcements, or hyperbolic advertising campaigns, the Exxon Mobil Corporation, one of the world's largest publicly owned petroleum companies, has quietly joined the ranks of those who are predicting an impending plateau in non-OPEC oil production. Their report, The Outlook for Energy: A 2030 View, forecasts a peak in just five years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Source
And if you couple this with the fact that Matthew Simmons, after very very extensive studies, belive that Saudi Arabia will peak very soon as well, we have problems. His upcoming book will be interesting.

[ QUOTE ]

Remember, the oil companies aren't panicking. It would be wise to *also* consider the opinions of those who are in the business of making money from energy in addition to those who are in the business of making money spreading fears about energy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I am doing excatly that, you know. And in many cases it seems like they know exactly what's going on, ie. the world is about to run short of liquid fuels. I'll get you some links.

Meanwhile, for an interesting presentation on SA by Simmons, see here:
Simmons

Ohh, and by the way, what is a "fearmonger" in your view?
Old 05-31-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Motherf*ckers

Isnt the earth and its resources given to us from god to use? I think I heard that on Rush one day -- or was it the preacher quoting the bible.
Old 05-31-2005, 08:50 AM

this is actually starting to get attention ($2 a gallon gas prices will do that) -

I even saw a docu-drama being promoted somewhere that talked about what will happen and how panicing will start, etc, etc. - Let's not forget that although we can always do more walking/bike riding, a vast majority of our food production/farming methods are dependant on this stuff.

Personally, the more attention it gets now, the better it'll be for us - (even if some of it is from the Faux News Network) - if we're wrong, what did we do? - put millions into alternative energy research a few years early - big deal - it's a great investment.

RB
Old 05-31-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: Exxon disagrees

[ QUOTE ]
http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050530/energ...bles.html?.v=1

Remember that this company is in the business of making profit for shareholders, nothing more.

2030 is a long way off. It's hard to predict where energy tech will be at that point. Even now, you can find several new headlines *every day* that describe new and interesting innovations in energy tech, from improved batteries, to solar towers in Australia, to wave power generation plants in Spain, to gas-to-liquid superclean fuels, to bacterially promoted natural gas from near-empty oil reservoirs, to all the myriad *daily* advances in hydrogen production and fuel cell tech, to truly innovative new technologies like tethered turbines and the OTEC project linked by Wacki.

There's a lot going on that the fearmongers want you to ignore. If Fox news is promoting peak oil crisis you can be sure it's an exaggeration.

[/ QUOTE ]

This kinda stuff always makes me think of the clip in Jaws, where Brodie, and the Mayor, are arguing about closing the beaches in front of the billboard which has been vandalised with the painted sharks fin, and Matt (Richard Dreyfuss's character) walks of saying 'your all gonna die'.